Skip to main content
Topic: 88TC side trim removal question? (Read 1671 times) previous topic - next topic

88TC side trim removal question?

I need to know how to remove the side trim off a TC parts car.  The hard plastic behind the rear wheels, and the softer rubber pieces everywhere else?  Anyone know?
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #1
For the hard plastic pieces on the quarters and fenders there are speed nuts on the inside of the panels. you'll have to remove the interior trunk trim to get to the ones in the quarter and remove the front wheel splash shield for the front. The ones stuck to the doors are tougher. Usually the adhesive behind them is so hard it like a weld.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]      STEVE ;)

Reply #2
Blackbird has steered you in the right direction for the hard plastic trim.  The soft stuff is adhesive backed.  It has two lines of tape.  One at the bottom and one at the top.  Is your car going to be painted???  If so, I have 2 methods of removal.  Both may damage your paint which is why I asked if it was going to the paint shop. 

First method uses a heat gun to heat the door and soften the tape.  Then I use a putty knife to pry the molding from the door.

The other way I've done it uses piano wire to saw through the adhesive tape.

Like I mentioned earlier these methods MAY damage your paint, but if you're careful and take your time, you should be able to get them off without doing any damage.

Tommy

Reply #3
They make an air hammer attachment for that trim removal. It is a hard plastic chisel tip with an air hammer end. I don't recommend using it unless like TommyT said, you plan on repainting the car.

Reply #4
Quote from: TommyT;232480
Blackbird has steered you in the right direction for the hard plastic trim.  The soft stuff is adhesive backed.  It has two lines of tape.  One at the bottom and one at the top.  Is your car going to be painted???  If so, I have 2 methods of removal.  Both may damage your paint which is why I asked if it was going to the paint shop. 

First method uses a heat gun to heat the door and soften the tape.  Then I use a putty knife to pry the molding from the door.

The other way I've done it uses piano wire to saw through the adhesive tape.

Like I mentioned earlier these methods MAY damage your paint, but if you're careful and take your time, you should be able to get them off without doing any damage.

Tommy

Also watch to make sure you dont cut into the trim with the wire. I did that and I was using fishing line!
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #5
as for the taped on trim soak it in spray on engine cleaner. Let is soak for a while then it should come  right of with ease.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #6
I was manly and just pulled my side trim (the softer trim) off with my bare hands.I get like that on occassion.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
Putting the vehicle out in the hot sun for several hours will also help. Summertime is the best time of year for molding removal.

I'm with Vinnie...be a man, it works best. ;)

Reply #8
Quote from: vinnietbird;232568
I was manly and just pulled my side trim (the softer trim) off with my bare hands.I get like that on occassion.

Quote from: EricCoolCats;232587
Putting the vehicle out in the hot sun for several hours will also help. Summertime is the best time of year for molding removal.

I'm with Vinnie...be a man, it works best. ;)

Yeah but if you want to re-use it you just very manly bent up your trim :mullet:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
Yeah but if you want to re-use it you just very manly bent up your trim

If you want to reuse it...lay it back out in the sun for several hours, then peel off the aluminum strip with a pair of needlenose pliers. Done. ;)

Reply #10
Quote from: thunderjet302;232695
Yeah but if you want to re-use it you just very manly bent up your trim :mullet:

Yea,but you bent it up in a manly way,and that's really all that matters in the long run.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #11
The first one got taken off manly and got ripply on me.
the other side I went girly on it with a trowel. looked a lot better.
I never thought of yanking the metal strips off. live and learn.

This next time, manly all the way. and I'm ditching the metal backing strips.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #12
Quote from: EricCoolCats;232699
If you want to reuse it...lay it back out in the sun for several hours, then peel off the aluminum strip with a pair of needlenose pliers. Done. ;)

Ah never thought of that one :bowdown:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.