Skip to main content
Topic: My car finally died... (Read 2590 times) previous topic - next topic

My car finally died...

I was at a stop light right before the gas station, i was on empty, my car stalled out, so I was like, ok, no biggy, i'm really low on gas. It starts up on the second crank and sputters until i hit 45, i got to 55 so that if i stall i could just cruise to the station. I put 15 in the tank, pulled out on the the road and not even 20 feet onto the road it flat out died. I was stuck in the right lane. I put it in park and cranked it. It sputtered the first few cranks and after that died.

After sitting and waiting for my girlfriend to turn around(we were both driving), a guy walked up and my girlfriend walked up and i tried cranking it a few more times, just gave up threw it in nuetral and started rolling it backwards to get it onto a side street. Cop pulled up and nearly rear ended me.
Pushed it into the gas station, at that point all the cranking killed the battery, so tried jumping it and still wouldn't give me a sputter.
Called her dad who's a mechanic, he told me to have her just start the electrical stuff and to listen for the 2 second buzz of the pump. I heard it.
I called a tow truck her dad knows and it's getting towed to the shop tomorrow morning.
He said it could possibly be the ignition coil, which i hope it is cause i'm not in any mood to drain 10 gallons of gas and drop my tank to replace a fuel pump that I will have to pull from the junkyard. I'm still gonna have to pull an ignition coil from the junkyard, might as well grab it and shove it in my pocket.
I'm so pissed right now, I don't know how much this tow truck is gonna cost, luckily the shop use is free, but the parts aren't.
I'm out of a car for like...a while. Tomorrow I'm gonna figure out what is wrong, tuesday or wednesday I will have to go to the junkyard or something to get what I need, and the next day install it.

Re: My car finally died...

Reply #1
when was the last time the fuel filter was changed.running it that low on gas you might have pluged it up.it is at least worth a try to see how the flow is through it.

Reply #2
I second the fuel filter thing.
One 88

Reply #3
Ditto.  Sounds like you clogged the filter.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
The fuel filter has like 1500 miles on it. I have it up at my girlfriend's dad's shop and I'm gonna work on it after school today. Hoefully it's the filter. Easy fix.
How would it clog it though?

Reply #5
any rusp flakes or setement in your tank could of got sucked up or even when you ran it out you get reverse flow and it could of loosened something that way and cloged it.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #6
Fuel pump?

Reply #7
Well, nothing is wrong with it, her dad got it and started it up after charging the battery and it was running for two hours in the lot. Drove it around after school after he changed the fuel filter, and stuff. Nothing wrong. Guess it just didn't like that I went so low on fuel.

Reply #9
I think running for 2 hours would get the car warm enough that the TFI would fail again if it was going to... can't be sure though.

Reply #10
Running for two hours at idle with no air blowing in from moving down the road?  I would have to say he's good to go.  How cold was it where you are?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!