Skip to main content
Topic: Raced the Cougar tonight (AGAIN... new times added 09/26) (Read 6848 times) previous topic - next topic

Raced the Cougar tonight (AGAIN... new times added 09/26)

Reply #15
I class ANY car with dual fart cannons a ricer, I dont give a  how fast it is....

well $100 american...  ($15cdn :p) in gakets from summit...  I had everything laying around already...  altogether I might have $1500 into it...

Reply #16
How bad are ya spinning? Mine should be running what you are if I can get it to hook before the 60 foot mark. I can get the same mph (93-94 easy) but I can't get lower than a 15.0. I will run the same mph all night but vary from a 15.0-15.6 because I really need to learn how to launch the car. BTW how hot was it the night you made your pass? I haven't been able to run when it's not over 80-82 degrees out (the last time I went it was 85* :punchballs: ).

BTW the stock AOD sucks for racing doesn't it? ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #17
Quote from: thunderjet302;228320
BTW the stock AOD sucks for racing doesn't it? ;)

Yup, best I ran with 3.73s & the stock tight as Hell SC converter(did have the shift kit), was 14.08@101... With a change to the 2600 stall, it went 13.56 again at 101... With the full 2.5" exhaust system(had the remains of the stock TC and a 5.0 Stang prior), a fresh tune up and 50* weather, she fired off a 13.11 @ 105.3(without the tune up, during True Street had run 13.65@102 in 98* heat with a hot engine)... Will run 13.3s @ 104 all day long in 75* weather...

Reply #18
So basiaclly with what I'm doing now I could shave off .5 second with a converter, shift kit and rebuild on the AOD. Yeah the stock trans sucks, especially when it's in a nearly 3700 lb T-bird :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #19
You sure get allot better traction than I do in my yellow 86'. I keep spinning until after it fish tails in 2nd on the track. I will never use slicks personaly. It always sounded like cheating to me, kinda  like having nitrous kit. but thats just me.

Reply #20
Quote from: yellow86coogr;228510
I will never use slicks personaly. It always sounded like cheating to me

And while you're waggin' your ass back and forth, the rest of us on Drag Radials are long gone...

Reply #21
I've been seriously considering drag radials. They are street legal and I don't think I drive the car enough to worry about how long they will last. Point taken :D

Reply #22
Congratulations on making the swap and improving your times...come down to Atco raceway...that's an honest low-14 second car with good air and a little traction.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #23
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;229540
Congratulations on making the swap and improving your times...come down to Atco raceway...that's an honest low-14 second car with good air and a little traction.

yeah I just picked up a set of Gt40 heads for it and a set of 1.7 roller rockers, so now I am going to build a new motor with fly cut pistons and swap them on....

I will hit the track again this weekend and see if I can shave off some more time...  maybe this time I will remember to remove the front swaybar....:hick:

Reply #24
Pulling the sway bar is 25 lbs off the nose (if it's a Turbo Coupe/Mustang V8 bar).  You may get a little better weight transfer to minimize some of the spin.  Are you doing the balance of the old "10 minute tune up"?  Putting on a short belt to by-pass the p/s and bumping the timing to 16*?

Reply #25
You may not need flycut pistons...if it's not your daily driver, take the time and get yourself a little clay...check PTV clearance...if you got those heads off of an Explorer, you may want to mill them about .030" so you're not dropping compression.

FWIW, don't drop your rear tire pressure...I see so many people do it with street tires and it only makes matters worse 99% of the time.  Use enough air to make a good balanced patch...light asphalt or concrete is the best test area...and air up those front tires to 45psi.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #26
Quote from: 86T-bird;229672
Pulling the sway bar is 25 lbs off the nose (if it's a Turbo Coupe/Mustang V8 bar).  You may get a little better weight transfer to minimize some of the spin.  Are you doing the balance of the old "10 minute tune up"?  Putting on a short belt to by-pass the p/s and bumping the timing to 16*?

yep I have the ten minute tune, minus the gears.... actually I am still running the powersteering too...  though I do have a REALLY short belt laying around someplace to bypass it...
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;229704
You may not need flycut pistons...if it's not your daily driver, take the time and get yourself a little clay...check PTV clearance...if you got those heads off of an Explorer, you may want to mill them about .030" so you're not dropping compression.
Good luck,
Don

the heads are from a '93 Cobra....

Reply #27
Quote from: yellow86coogr;228779
I've been seriously considering drag radials. They are street legal and I don't think I drive the car enough to worry about how long they will last. Point taken :D

drag radial are the only way to go if you want to drive it on the streat and strip with out having to change wheels when you go from strip to the street driving.
personally i use nitto nt555 drag radial to give me the best ET plus drive ablety on the street.
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #28
NEW best time!

14.345 @ 97.88MPH

time slip reads:

R/T...........  0.190
60'............  2.172
330'...........  6.061
1/8............  9.263
MPH...........  77.07
1000'.......... 12.016
1/4............  14.345
MPH...........  97.88

uploading the videos now...
EDIT:
K here are the videos:
first pass was against a firebird with HUGE slicks and wheelie bars  = WIN for me

Next pass was a solo run...

this pass (best of the night) was against a supercharged Cobalt SS....  =  WIN for ME, (which I was shocked at)

ENJOY GUYS!!

Reply #29
 I gotta get back to the track...

Congrats on the new time...