Skip to main content
Topic: 1957 vs 2007 (Read 6536 times) previous topic - next topic

1957 vs 2007

Reply #30
I recently watched this presentation on how the Glock 23 works http://www.genitron.com/Glock23/IntGlock.html - I was impressed with some of the features of the Glock and was cosidering getting the 23 or 27.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

1957 vs 2007

Reply #31
My work weapon is a Glock 19 (9mm).

My off-duty is a Glock 21(.45acp).

I have the 21 set up with less pull for the trigger and the double spring coupled with this makes it more accurate than my 19.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

1957 vs 2007

Reply #32
OK, this thread just turned into a very scary place.

1957 vs 2007

Reply #33
I'm not familiar with the Glocks but that 23 looks sweet!!

I believe my nephew has the Glock 21, but since he's in Kuwait right now, I can't just call him and ask him. lol

I would ask for it for Christmas...but ya know...I live in NY and I'm not licensed yet. :( (Which is why I keep my 'Jenny" .22 at my father-in-law's house in PA. ) I do plan to get licensed for handgun, however, I just haven't done it yet. Mainly because I can't afford to get anything with any stopping power and the 'Jenny' isn't worth having for defense, just enough to piss someone off....that's why it's just for practicing with.

Raven, why is it a scary place now? lol

Guns aren't scary, however, the people who use them can be. It depends on their training and how they were raised to handle them. Most honest, law abiding people are responsible with their weapons. Many have had training, and many have been raised with them, so it comes natural to them.
My father was a gun smith. I still have the 20 gage he gave me when I turned 12, and the stock isn't finished on it because he died before he could get it done. It will stay that way though because that's how he gave it to me. BTW, he also taught me how to load my own shells.... I had so much fun doing that!!

My 17 yr old has a .22 rifle and a 12 gage of his own. My 15 year old has a .22 of his own and wants to get a 20 gage as soon as he can.

To me, target practice is relaxing.... seriously.... I can sit and shoot all day. Problem is I run out of rounds before I get tired of shooting. :D

I started hunting when I was 12 years old, and just a few years ago I took my son out for his first time hunting. Both my boys love hunting... and I hope my daughter will love it too, she can go in 2 years! My biggest problem will be finding a rifle made small enough for her to handle, yet big enough to actually kill a deer!
That kind of presents a funny picture, knowing she is less than 50 pounds right now and couldn't drag a deer through the woods if she did get one!
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

1957 vs 2007

Reply #34
Rifles don't scare me. I too grew up firing guns out on the farm, and hunting with my Dad, though I never shot anything but a target.

However, hearing people talk about their handguns, as something to carry with them day to day, scares the shiznit out of me. One is made to take down a deer. A handgun was only made to do one thing.

1957 vs 2007

Reply #35
I used to bring my rifle to school through the entire month of November (deer season). It was always in the trunk of my car so I could leave school and be in the woods before dark, and just like Tom's original post, I often showed it to teachers who hunted themselves and wanted to see my iron.

I also used to walk through town with that gun on my way to Second Lake (a large wooded area teeming with deer, just outside of town). Sometimes I'd even get on the bus (Beaver Bank Transit, known as "The Bullet") with the gun, when I wanted to hunt in Beaver Bank. Naturally, in all cases (including trunk of the car) the gun was not loaded until I was actually in the woods. This wasn't some small hick-town of 300 people, either - Sackville (its name notwithstanding) had approximately 40,000 residents at the time (much higher now) and was a bedroom community (suburb) of Halifax.

This was 1989-ish, though, not 1957. That's how fast times have changed.

I couldn't imagine trying to get on a bus with a rifle in your hands or going to school with a rifle in your trunk in this day and age. You'd be tackled and arrested before you made it to the bus stop or school.

I find it odd that while youth interest in guns is increasing, their interest in using those guns for what youth are supposed to use guns for is dropping like a rock. There are very few deer hunters under the age of 25. When I was a kid practically every boy (and several girls) lived for November. I certainly wasn't the only student with a rifle in his trunk back then, and when the bell rang it was a mad dash to get to the best hunting spots first. On weekends there was a camper set up in every clearing, and the permanent camps such as mine were full to capacity. You'd have to go to your spot two or three  hours in advance just to make sure you got there first. It's different now. No campers, plenty of empty camps, and your choice of hunting spots. You hardly hear a gunshot anymore, and the few hunters remaining are mostly in their 40's and older (I am the youngest at any of the camps on our road by a wide margin).

As for ADD/ADHD: I believe it is a legitimate condition. Indeed, I've been accused of having it, and it's likely true - I cannot sit through a movie without reading a book, I can't read a book without having the TV on, can't watch TV without having the laptop on, and I get bored very, very quickly. I can't even sit down to eat without having a book or newspaper with me. When I go to a fast food joint the first think I look for is a newspaper, or failing that, one of the local single-sheet circulars that all of the restaurants have. On the toilet? Gotta read, even if it's only the back of a shampoo bottle. In the tub (this old house has no shower)? Gotta read, and quite often I bring the MP3 player in as well (I've gone through more sets of headphones...). If I have something on my mind, a problem to solve or even just something to design, like a roof over my patio or a gusset on my utility trailer project's frame, I will lay awake all night thinking about it).

I also believe, however, that it is very often misdiagnosed. In a lot of cases a kid is labeled with ADD/ADHD simply because his parents can't be bothered making him behave. "Oh, it's not our fault Junior is an asshole, he's got ADHD so why bother trying to make him behave?" This is the case with my niece, who, bless her heart, is a little asshole. She absolutely refuses to behave herself, and the therapist my sister took her to immediately said "ADD!". The rest of the family knows why this kid misbehaves - her mother simply doesn't bother with her. My sister will talk on the phone for hours with her friends while the niece is ignored. Every weekend the niece is dumped off on my parents because my sister wants to go partying. We were actually talking about this at a family gathering at the cottage this past weekend- I can't remember the last weekend this girl spent with her mother. Naturally, her mother wasn't at the gathering. There was partying to be done elsewhere. And the niece spent the entire weekend sulking because the other nieces & nephews weren't treating her as the queen (See, she's also used to getting her own way, because her mother can't be bothered dealing with her). While they were in the pool, she was inside playing a game called "Bully" on her PS2.

So why don't I think this kid really has ADD? Because when you turn the TV on she is mesmerized, almost catatonic (she's 11, BTW). Put a pencil and paper in her hand and she'll draw for hours. When it comes to something she wants to do, she'll do it forever and not make a sound. If it's something she doesn't want to do (like homework) she won't do it because she wants to do something else fun.

That's not ADD. That's a normal kid completely lacking structure at home.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

1957 vs 2007

Reply #36
I couldn't imagine trying to get on a bus with a rifle in your hands or going to school with a rifle in your trunk in this day and age. You'd be tackled and arrested before you made it to the bus stop or school.

And rightly so. Thank Columbine and other school incidents, plus the relative ease for devious people to get weapons, for that. There is a reason that virtually every area around a school is designated as a weapons-free zone. That means NO GUNS ALLOWED. Not a very difficult concept to understand, especially for the students who, presumably, are there to learn and should therefore understand said concept. School has absolutely nothing to do with guns...now does it?

It is very difficult for me to sit back and watch this train wreck of a thread unfold from what should have been a meaningful discussion about ADD/ADHD to a gun issue. I have personal reasons for this which I will not discuss in public.

Get the frickin' thread back on topic.

1957 vs 2007

Reply #37
Quote from: oldraven;228643

However, hearing people talk about their handguns, as something to carry with them day to day, scares the shiznit out of me. One is made to take down a deer. A handgun was only made to do one thing.

Actually, I know several people who use their handguns for hunting too. ;)
Yes, a handgun is mostly used for killing people. However, you have to look at the people who are using them.
Are they properly trained to use it and is it's use for self defense?
Or, is is someone who intends to use it in a crime?

If it is someone who intends to use it in a crime, then I feel a lot safer having one to use as self defense.
If it is someone who is properly trained and intends to use it as self defense, then you have nothing to worry about, unless you intend to commit a crime against them.

Carm, it sounds like your niece needs some structure.... since your sister isn't willing to do that, what are the chances of you spending some time with her?
It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and maybe she can benefit from time spent with you. Have her help you work on the car or something. She might end up enjoying it, and you might too.
I don't know what the age for hunting is in Canada, but maybe you could start teaching her some of that too..... you could end up being the one to save her from a life of irresponsibility.

1957 vs 2007

Reply #38
Quote from: EricCoolCats;228647
And rightly so. Thank Columbine and other school incidents, plus the relative ease for devious people to get weapons, for that. There is a reason that virtually every area around a school is designated as a weapons-free zone. That means NO GUNS ALLOWED. Not a very difficult concept to understand, especially for the students who, presumably, are there to learn and should therefore understand said concept. School has absolutely nothing to do with guns...now does it?

It is very difficult for me to sit back and watch this train wreck of a thread unfold from what should have been a meaningful discussion about ADD/ADHD to a gun issue. I have personal reasons for this which I will not discuss in public.

Get the frickin' thread back on topic.

Good post Eric - there is a lot being glossed over here. Bemoaning the fact that kids can't bring guns to school isn't exactly something I'm worried about either. Where I grew up, only criminals would bring knives and guns to school if security wasn't enforced. I can't imagine anybody thinks we should be sending our kids off to grammar school with a gun. I'm sure your personal story would likely open a few eyes, though I don't blame you for not wanting to troll down that path.

1957 vs 2007

Reply #39
I for one was not trying to say it was ok for kids to bring guns to school. If that was the impression you got, then I am sorry, that was not what was intended.

1957 vs 2007

Reply #40
I was not saying that it should be OK to bring guns to school. What I was saying is that it was surprising that I got away with it when I was a kid.

Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1957 - Vice Prinl comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
That is almost exactly what happened at my school, except I was hunting deer, not quail, and I had a rifle, not a shotgun. I did indeed show the gun to a few teachers, who in turn showed me theirs, and we'd talk about hunting. My point (and I'm relatively sure, Tom's point with this thread, so my post was perfectly on topic) was that back when we were younger nobody would have ever dreamed that somebody would take a gun to school and actually use it there. It just didn't happen back then. Nobody would have even dreamed of taking a swing at a teacher, either. If you got in shiznit, you'd meekly be dragged to the prinl's office, where you'd receive your punishment, and you'd perform that punishment (detention, scrubbing graffiti off the bathroom walls, re-sodding the football field, etc) with no arguments. Your parents wouldn't sue the school to get you out of your punishment, and you wouldn't have even entertained the thought of punching a teacher, much less coming back the next day with a gun to "get even".

Believe me, Eric - my views on handguns and assault rifles are very likely 100% in line with yours. The fact that I own rifles and hunt deer notwithstanding, I have very liberal views when it comes to guns and their use. Probably that Canadian in me :canada:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

1957 vs 2007

Reply #41
Just for reference, this "the 50's were so great" thing has been around since the '70's when I was a teen. The dates are merely changed to make it look like it's a new concept. When I saw the post, I gave one of those "not this shiznit again" shrugs, then got into the discussion about ADHD as it's common for those who don't have to deal with it to assume it must not exist.

1957 vs 2007

Reply #42
I don't hunt. It's not something I would get any joy out of. I don't see anything wrong with hunting, though. It's an ancient art. I would like to get a better lens for the camera and go hunting with or without another 'hunter'. I'd just be the guy with a much quieter gun. ;)

[SIZE="1"]No tree stands or apple piles, please. :disappoin You may as well go to the grocery store if you're not going to hunt.[/SIZE]

See Eric, we're still on topic. If this thread doesn't display symptoms of ADD, my Dad was right and I really don't have it.:hick:

1957 vs 2007

Reply #43
Sorry guys...I might have been a little strong there. But sheesh, don't feel that you have to placate me just because this thread touched a nerve on my end. Feel free to tell me to piss off at any time. ;)

I've never been able to concentrate unless it's a subject about which I'm strongly interested. When I have to meet with a client at work my mind goes everywhere but on topic. Not sure if that can be solved with medication...I've always felt that some of my synapses might not be firing correctly. Kind of like needing a 20-foot extension cord and having an 18-footer. You can s-t-r-e-t-c-h out the cord to make the connection...but it can unplug itself due to tension at any time. That's about the story of my brain. Fortunately I realized that I was this way at an early age and have always felt the need to explain that my mind just works differently from what seems to be the norm. In other words, my brain is kind of f'ed up. One of these days I'd love to get tested, just to see if my hunch is correct.

On the other hand...I have strange connections with time that I cannot explain. I get feelings and images from the past about places and things, mostly properties and homes from my family but sometimes in unknown places too. Also, my "sixth sense" kicks in sometimes when I know that something is right, even if everyone else doesn't know it, and about 90% of the time things turn out the way that I felt they would be. Don't know why I know things...but I just know. My dreams are ultra-realistic and sometimes have shown me things that eventually became real, years in advance. On top of that, linear thinking doesn't work (I think in spirals) and I see in colors. Maybe I'm psychic or something, I don't know. But it would be a shame if medication squelched that ability. Maybe I'm just better off staying f'ed up. :hick:

1957 vs 2007

Reply #44
No need to medicate away the gifts you have been given :) I also seem to be cursed with the ability to see "images" from points on the time line that haven't occured yet. It sucks because they are always "loud" images - like the death of a loved one, a traumatic experience or a national calamity. I try to keep my mind busy so I don't have time to see stuff. I'm not sure if it's a curse or a blessing as there are advantages to being prepared for traumatic experiences.