Skip to main content
Topic: '87 TC hp? (Read 2931 times) previous topic - next topic

'87 TC hp?

how much hp would an '87 Turbo Coupe 5spd have? I thought it was 140hp, someone else says it's 190  :dunno:

Re: '87 TC hp?

Reply #1
190hp for stick,BOOST AT 15PSI
155 for auto, boost turned down to 9psi as not to toast the weak A4LD.
If you've got a gillis set to 18psi you could probably get it up to about 210 on the stock ihi.

Reply #2
190hp for an 87-88 TC 5 spd.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #3
190hp for stick,BOOST AT 15PSI

Is it really 15 p.s.i? I can't even boost over 9 p.s.i, and my car is a 5-speed. Is something wrong with mine?

20006 Ford Fusion SE

Reply #4
sounds like it. 9psi sounds pretty well in the low end for a 5 speed tcoupe. thats all i can offer you. im in the dark when it comes to diagnosing....nevermind a boosted engine. a buddy of mine had a turbocoupe that wouldnt boost and it turned out to be a junk catilyc converter...
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #5
87 had an LA2 eec and only got 15psi in 1st & 2nd it was 10psi then on.

88 got the LA3 which gave 15psi in all gears which is why alot of people swap over to the LA3 as an upgrade

Reply #6
Here's a cheap trick to gain a little boost... Remove the lines to the boost controller from the turbo(let em hang), then jump the two nipples(on the turbo) together with the shortest piece of hose that won't kink... Usually the 5 speeds will boost approx 16-17psi in all gears, a automatic should get 12-13 psi.. If boost is still low, possibly the catlytic conveter is plugged, the wastegate spring is weak, or timing can be off(dist or cam) and cause problens.. Worst case scenario... turbo is shot...

Did this to the daughters 5 speed TC 5-6 years ago, and she started complaining of a noise when she was getting on the interstate or passing(she really meant racing) other cars. I took it out and wound it up to approx 4500 in each gear, no noise... NO DAD, you have to wind it up a little more.... uhh OK.  So I run through 'em again and found it was tripping the overboost buzzer(set at 17.5 psi) at about 5500 in second gear(she said it usually did it in 3rd), uhh honey you need to shift this thing a little sooner... But dad... I have to wind it out to hang with those those newer Mustangs(guess she had't run up with a Cobra)...  Thats when I figured out the racing part....

Reply #7
Hmmm....Wonder where she gets it from :rolleyes:  :rollin:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
Thats a great story.  Hey, I thought girls were supposed to be safe drivers??  or is just smarter drivers??

Reply #9
Quote from: jasontbird
Hey, I thought girls were supposed to be safe drivers??  or is just smarter drivers??

Nah.  They're just better at getting out of tickets.  :D
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #10
It seems that guys drive faster, but girls get into more accidents
1988 Thunderbird Sport