Skip to main content
Topic: Advise Needed - Is this a good deal? (Read 1614 times) previous topic - next topic

Advise Needed - Is this a good deal?

5.0L High Ouput Engine, fits 1987-1993 Mustang. Engine hasn't been used since new rings, valve stems, bearings, and gaskets have been installed by a professional mechanic. Also for sale is wiring harness, computer, rear end, everything needed to convert your 4 cyl. to a 5.0L... Asking $1200 for everything.
[/size][/font]

Canadian $$! I hope you remember that I have a '88 t-bird sport.

Re: Advise Needed - Is this a good deal?

Reply #1
I paid 750 cdn for my low mileage ho with the computer.
Offer him 1000.00 if you really need the harness.
If not ask him if they replaced the pistons as well or if it was just reringed.
If they replaced the pistons,did they use forged like factory?

Reply #2
Ask for warranty info too, just in case something should go wrong.

Reply #3
You still looking for a T-Bird, Newfoundbird? There's an '88 XR7 for sale in the local bargain hunter for $1500 OBO. I know it isn't a 'Bird, but it is an XR7 - that means full buttstuffogue cluster, 8.8" rear, floor shift, the good seats, etc (just like your Sport, except the 8.8" rear). I haven't looked at it myself because I'd probably do something stupid like buying it...

I also know where there's a decent 83-86 Cougar for sale, see it all the time on Beaverbank Road, but I know nothing about it other than it looks to be fairly rust free.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
I have several irons in the fire right now.

I'm keeping my eye open for anything with little or no rust. I like the 87/88 models best.

My Dad is still driving my sisters 88 base with very little rust. I'm hoping he's going to give up his license soon - 84 years old in june. I was told that the car was mine when he did give it up. Can you say freebie?

Plus, I haven't given up on the sport just yet. I'll see what I have to work with when I dismantle it. Either it'll be rebuild or it will be parts.

I saw this engine on line and thought I might start collecting parts for when I do know what I'm going to do. From that ad it seems like the engine comes with intakes, E7 heads, computer, wiring harness (i know my harness will work), and I would assume 8.8 rearend. I thought it would be a nice place to start with any mods I plan to do on whatever car I eventually go with.

First things first though. I have an draftsman working on plans for an attached garage to store and work on the cars. 28' x 32'. I have to save what I can for that but if this was a good/great deal I would go for it. I'd just have to use my studded winter tires all summer :)