Skip to main content
Topic: pulling codes & data (Read 1484 times) previous topic - next topic

pulling codes & data

OK so I’m having a running rich problem only got codes 33 and 95 on my fathers Snap-On scanner. I told him the computer from a 89 stang for the mass air so that’s what we put in the scanner problem is he tried pulling data from the car and it wouldn’t let him. I know 1988 there was no data but in 89 there was is it the wiring harness that’s not allowing it.
Thank you

pulling codes & data

Reply #2
I don't believe there is data stream output on any two code EEC-IV systems... On the three code, yes...

pulling codes & data

Reply #3
I did'nt understand the post at all.  This is one reason I did not reply.

pulling codes & data

Reply #4
Man it’s been a while since I’ve played w/the car/ I hardly drive it so far I pulled and cleaned the plugs they smelled of fuel. And backed down on the fuel pressure it was just over 55 backed it down to 45 w/ the vac hose disconnected and when I reconnect it goes to 39. Car is running better but not perfect yet I want to pull the plugs and see them again.

TurboCoupe50 you stated you don’t believe there is any data stream output on any two code EEC-IV systems this is a little beyond me but I will explain this to my farther who is more of  mechanic by trade. I do this for fun and annoy him with putting 89 computers in 88 cars and telling him it’s OK.

pulling codes & data

Reply #5
FYI, and a lot of others, see www.fordfuelinjection.com for a ton of information about the EEC-IV.  I don't think 3 digit codes came out until the 90's when emissions control and engine management started to be an art-form.  If only we'd had the technology then that we have now.  3.5L V6's turning out 200+ horsepower versus our old 3.8's turning out about 130. 

But, that link will give you a lot of good info on Ford EEC's.  I don't know what data stream you're referring to, other than some blinks.  That's all a fancy schmancy code reader does, is count the pulses.  Since I still have all 10 fingers, and can count with 'em, I just hook up a light to the STO on the connector, and a paper clip to the STI.  Turn on the ignition, and count the blinks.  Easy peasy.  Paperclips are a lot cheaper if you drop them too.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

pulling codes & data

Reply #6
Quote from: Innes;222556
I pulled and cleaned the plugs they smelled of fuel. And backed down on the fuel pressure it was just over 55 backed it down to 45 w/ the vac hose disconnected and when I reconnect it goes to 39.

Dayum... Why do you need so much fuel pressure??? Should be 39psi without vac and approx 30-32 with... Sure sounds like you are your own worst enemy...

Quote from: Innes;222556
TurboCoupe50 you stated you don’t believe there is any data stream output on any two code EEC-IV systems this is a little beyond me but I will explain this to my farther who is more of  mechanic by trade. I do this for fun and annoy him with putting 89 computers in 88 cars and telling him it’s OK.

The data stream gives operating temps and voltage related to o2 and other sensors, which can be read IF you have a capable scanner... As stated I don't think the two digit code EECs output this info...

pulling codes & data

Reply #7
even if you do turn down the FP, the o2's may be gummed up enough to where they are fibbing to the eec. (or should i say they are pretty much the backbone of fuel mgmt)

The 02's help manage the pulse width modulation of the injectors so if they are dirty,, I would think in theory that the eec should lean out your mix but thats not the case.  I suppose in normal cirspoogestances, the fuel pres reg being factory set would result in leaning out the mix but since you have bumped up the FP, the eec can only do so much before things are out of limits on setting.

nonetheless, in addition to all your doing, I would consider cleaning them with some MEK or Acetone , carb cleaner ect.

pulling codes & data

Reply #8
Quote from: jcassity;222707
I would consider cleaning them with some MEK or Acetone , carb cleaner ect.

Ford says fouled o2 sensors can be cleaned up with some sharp acceleration(within speed limits of course :D )...

pulling codes & data

Reply #9
I don’t know how the FP got that high the guy I bought it from a few years ago said it was set for about 42-43 (and it was)- when I put it on the car it ran great till the tear down for the rebuilt. I change intakes switch over the FPR and gauge though I don’t remember what it said when I first started the car I never touched the adjustment on it motor still has less then 500 miles on it. Said me never has time to play. But the motor is built for just around 300hp so my FP should be bumped up I just don’t know how much and I also have to take in account my rings aren’t seated in yet for full compression correct.

If any are interested heres the link on this forum when I rebuilt my motor w/all my mods and pics. http://foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=17223

pulling codes & data

Reply #10
If you're still running a stock MAF and injectors, fuel pressure should remain at near stock level... Basically running elevated FP is for the SD guys trying to cheat the system, or if your running mismatched MAF/injectors... OR on a race(not street) engine where injector size is a bit small... Increasing FP on a street engine, will richen up the low speed fuel curve and cause overall poor performance...

Per your other post it was clearly too rich, go back to stock pressure, then maybe increase it slightly to see if performance improves(you'll need to be on the track or dyno to really tell)...

pulling codes & data

Reply #11
You can increase FP on Mass Air, but it HAS to be within parameters that the ECU can trim the rates if necessaryand the motor HAS to need it.  It sounds like she's getting too much for even the ECU to do that.

Ford states that 35-45 PSI is within parameters......Shoot for 39 with the vacuum line off the regulator, hook up a test light and see what you get.  You might need more, but if so it'll likely be 4-5 PSI max.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!