Skip to main content
Topic: 351w 4v Ho (Read 2204 times) previous topic - next topic

351w 4v Ho

What do u guys know about the 351W 4V Ho, that was put in mid80 Ford pickups and vans? In the van that it was in, with the 4 barrel Holley, it would outrun my dads 1994 4x4 F-150 w a 5.0. without much of a problem! It runs awesome and i know it has been redone within 40k miles ago. It is gunna be put into my 84 Fox body Thunderchicken. Also, do any of u have any lower rear end gears for sale? Thanks, Robert

Re: 351w 4v Ho

Reply #1
probably just a higher cam with the 4 barrel carb making it the 4vho. Other than that, it will fit so drop er in.

might consider heads e7's or better but if it aint broke ,dont fix it.

Reply #2
Quote from: jcassity
probably just a higher cam with the 4 barrel carb making it the 4vho. Other than that, it will fit so drop er in.

might consider heads e7's or better but if it aint broke ,dont fix it.

Although it won't have the actual E7 heads, the ones on it are probably just as good... Except for the E6s, most all 5.0 and 5.8 heads are very similar....OK not all, '69-'74 351 heads flow close to GT40 irons, with the '69-'71 having smaller combustion chambers. But remember these heads did not have hardened exaust valve seats for unleaded gas.

Reply #3
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
'69-'74 351 heads flow close to GT40 irons, with the '69-'71 having smaller combustion chambers. But remember these heads did not have hardened exaust valve seats for unleaded gas.

tom,
any way to fix this?(hardened exhaust seats)  you mentioned these 69-74 351 heads a long time ago and i perked up cause anything that flows like gt40's would be desired.  I forgot to ask back then so ill ask now.  (other than adding a lead additive.)

Reply #4
Hardened seats are doable, but it will likely cost more than a good set of used irons. Plus the early heads use a pressed in stud, positive stop, non-adjustable rocker arm setup. I had a set of the '69 heads(actually a complete 4V engine from a old Torino), but after checking what it would cost to make them usable, went ahead and bought the Trick Flows...