Skip to main content
Topic: question about imports (Read 2911 times) previous topic - next topic

question about imports

i have a stock 5.0 1987 tbird i got an intake 70mm throttle and a typhoon intake the engine was rebuild but with stock parts . i also have shorty  headers and a mac offroad crossover with 2.5 in mac cat back exuast. 

i will be racing a honda civic, two door bubble back  with a type r engine that only has probally an exhaust work and intake, what i want to know is  what are the advantages and who will win 

a v8 better kick a 4 cylinders Ass i dont care how heavy it is

Re: question about imports

Reply #1
im confused..
is it a HONDA Type-R?
A Honda Civic w/ a type R engine
Is his a auto/manual?
wat year range?

either way, type-r engines are rated at 200hp.

I dont know man... cars would be HP wise pretty equal.

He is prolly 500lbs lighter.  So basically, it'd be a close ass race... too close for me to be in ur situation.

Reply #2
Quote from: im gay as hell
a v8 better kick a 4 cylinders Ass i dont care how heavy it is

you should. a lotus elise would beat an SO tbird in reverse. don't judge all 4bangers as grocery getters.

now are you sure it's a type-r? cuz you know, a lot of ricers worship that car, so they put the badges on their stock civics  :grinno:

I raced a guy in an older acura integra, I beat him with my SO Tbird by about 3 lengths, spinning a tire for about 2 seconds, with my gf in the passenger seat and a buncha  in the trunk. he had a type-r badge on the trunk, and all he has is a fart can  :giggle:

if it has a 200hp engine and you have a basically stock SO, you'll likely get whooped. power to weight is an important aspect

Reply #3
the word on the the streets is he has a 94 or 96 something like that bubble back with a type r engineyes its stick

Reply #4
word on the street could mean diddly. I could spread the rumor that my car has an HO, it even has the HO intake and plate on top. doesn't mean it's true.
seems all you can do is race him and find out. then throw in an HO and some juice and smoke em the next time around :p
don't be afraid to lose, if you do, who cares. there will always be someone faster than you.

Reply #5
what do you mean an HO and juice

Reply #6
do u think a 460 can fit in a tbird

Reply #7
HO and juice= Mustang engine and nitrous :D

Reply #8
and I'm sure anything can fit, just depends on how much $$ you have to throw at it to get it to work

Reply #9
what cars come with 460cu

Reply #10
do long block engines even fit in a t bird and if they do is there any room for a turbo

460 with turbo enought room yes or no

Reply #11
Sure why not.  :rice:

Reply #12
A 460 would fit with a swap kit, but probably not with a turbo. I don't think a relatively slow-revving big block would respond well to turbocharging anyway.

Long blocks will definitely fit in these cars. I can safely say that every single running car on this messageboard has a long block. Even a few that don't run. A long block is an angine assembly with cylinder heads, while a short block is an engine assembly without 'em. I think you mean "Big Block", and as stated above, yes, it will fit.

Time for a reality check. These cars (83-88 T-Birds and Cougars) are dog-ass slow. Whether you have the 5.0, 3.8 or even the 2.3 turbo, in stock form, these cars would be embarrassed by any modern family car. I would bet that not a single member of this forum bought their car because of the power (except modified cars, of course). We bought 'em because of their style, modability and in many cases because it was all the person could afford.

If you think you're gonna go winning races with a relatively stock 5.0 T-Bird you're in for disappointment. Your intake and TB won't do a whole lot with that stock SO cam and E6 heads. These cars were underpowered when they were new, and compared to modern cars they are absolute dogs. For the first 50 feet they will leap ahead thanks to their torque, but after that virtually any modern car will hand you your ass. Only the lowliest of the econopoopsters would be slower than your car's mid-17 second quarter mile and 10-second 0-60. Sad to say, but true, and this is coming from somebody who has owned four fox T-Birds, a Fox Cougar, and an MN12 T-Bird. 

These cars made 150-155 horses stock. Your TB and intake may get you up to 160-165 (and that's being generous), but the low end torque will likely suffer. That's 165 horses in a 3500+ pound car. With 2.73 or 3.08 gears. And an automatic. Even a basic modern Civic would have about 150 horses in a 2500 pound car and would likely be a 5-speed.

A LOT has changed since 1988. Mustangs are now making 300-390 horsepower. Corvettes are making 400-550 horses. Most family sedans make around 250 horses (more than any factory stock Fox Mustang ever made, and about what a mid 80's Corvette had to make do with) and even crudbucket Tauruses are making 200 horses (same as an '86 Mustang GT). Hell, you can even buy a NEON witht 240 horses! If you need room, Honda will even sell you a 260-horsepower minivan

Sadly, even a HO swap/conversion, 3.73 gears and a T-5 swap would only let you catch up with modern family cars, and would certainly not fling you ahead of them. A 260-horse Accord, 240-horse Camry or 250-horse Altima would still keep up with you, and would probably pass you.

Number of cylinders means very little. Modern engines are smaller, but they are a helluva lot more efficient at burninng their fuel and producing power.

To sum it all up, if the rumours of the type R engine in the Civic are true you're gonna see Civic tail lights.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #13
Whopps, missed one of your questions:

Quote from: im gay as hell
what cars come with 460cu
None, since 1977 or so. The 460 was not a performance engine, and for most of its life it was a boat anchor in the smog-choked 70's. It was installed in big boats such as the Lincoln Town car, Ford Crown Vic and Mercury Marquis. From 78-97 it was a truck-only engine and even then it was only slightly more powerful than the 351 (although a lot torquier). You can build one to be really (even insanely) powerful, but a stock 460, for the most part, is just a big inefficient lump of iron.

As said, they've been installed in Fox 'Birds (Fordguy had one), but they need some work both to get the engine in and to make it worth it.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
ford campers and some huge trucks