Skip to main content
Topic: Selling the XR-7 ... how much should I ask for ? (Read 2500 times) previous topic - next topic

Selling the XR-7 ... how much should I ask for ?

After 13 years of owning my Cougar I've decided to finally sell it and buy a new car. Problem is I have no idea what to ask for it. I'd like to find a buyer who can take care of it and not just sell it to some kid around the neighborhood who will beat the shiznit out of it. Everything works down to the cigarette lighter except cruise control and temp/oil gauges

-156k miles
-stereo system includes JBL's in the doors, Pioneers in the dash, Kickers in the rear deck all powered by a Sherwood Amp. Box with 2 12" woofers in the trunk powered by a Kenwood Amp. Head unit will be removed prior to selling.
-garaged
-Cobra-R wheels
-painted brake calipers/drums (silver)
-tranny rebuilt in 2001
-AC / heat works excellent
-changed oil every 3 months

Parts replaced within the last year
-headlamp switch
-alternator
-rotors/pads
-battery/cables

Parts replaced since 2003
-heater core
-Rack-Pinion
-fuel pump
-igntion switch
-motor mounts
-all freezer plugs
-water pump
-radiator
-fan clutch

Model is an XR-7 but has LS style fenders (without the turn signals) due to an accident. Long Island area. JZ1276@yahoo.com

Some pics

Reply #1
someday youll be sorry that you let it go, and some kid will run it into the ground as soon as it does, but if its time , start with the car clubs first, try some mercury dealerships but not as a trade in, the best place to sell a car to a good home is at car show.

Reply #2
Quote from: JZ1276;205835
Selling the XR-7 ... how much should I ask for?

Ask for $1500 but be a little flexible and expect to come down to make a sale.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #3
Depends on how much rust there is.
Depends on what condition the leather is.
Depends on if there are any cracks in dash.
Depends on how bad the accident was and how well it was fixed.

Reply #4
Quote from: xjeffs;205858
Depends on how much rust there is.
Depends on what condition the leather is.
Depends on if there are any cracks in dash.
Depends on how bad the accident was and how well it was fixed.

No rust. Leather is in excellent cond. I installed a dash top so the dash is perfect. As far as I know it was fixed fine. But the car has been in a couple of accidents.

Reply #5
Quote from: Cougars 2 go;205854
Ask for $1500 but be a little flexible and expect to come down to make a sale.

Wow thats all? Thats what I paid for the rims and tires alone only 2 years ago.

Reply #6
Quote from: 95blackxr7;205840
someday youll be sorry that you let it go, and some kid will run it into the ground as soon as it does, but if its time , start with the car clubs first, try some mercury dealerships but not as a trade in, the best place to sell a car to a good home is at car show.

No way I'd sell the car to just some kid. Like I said, I want to sell it to someone that will take care of it.

Reply #7
You know, you can get about 3 for it in NY and other "Salt" states
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
Quote from: daminc;205877
You know, you can get about 3 for it in NY and other "Salt" states

that's good bc I live in NY

Reply #9
Sometimes change is good. But you'll be back... Humm 13 years is an unlucky number for cars, I had mine 13 years, sold it, 6 months later it was totaled

Oh and $1500 is too low in my opinion. I was prepared to pay $1200-$1500 for a rust free roller in my area..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
Quote from: Bob;205890
Sometimes change is good. But you'll be back... Humm 13 years is an unlucky number for cars, I had mine 13 years, sold it, 6 months later it was totaled

Oh and $1500 is too low in my opinion. I was prepared to pay $1200-$1500 for a rust free roller in my area..

I actually don't even want to sell it but I only have a 1 car garage and the new car is going in it and i won't leave the cat parked in the street.

Reply #11
There is a guy trying to sell the same car in Brooklyn for $1800.  That car has been relisted a few times.  Here's his car.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/572118

+ for you - wheels, tires, paint, leather

+ for him - GST kit, 20k less miles

Yours has better curb appeal.  Except your hood is pen 15eyed.

Reply #12
Yours is in Nassau, which compared to his city miles more than negates the 20K mile deficit.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
Quote from: V8Demon;205937
Yours is in Nassau, which compared to his city miles more than negates the 20K mile deficit.

Not if you're coming from NJ or Connecticut.  20k miles isn't much difference anyway.

Reply #14
I got $3800 for mine with 260kms, and a few minor upgrades....

your dash is NOT perfect, it is just hidden....  and three wrecks....  wow!!!....  I would say $1500 would be reasonable with that background...  but I cant really say as I have never seen the car in person...