Skip to main content
Topic: 87 Thunderchicken Running Rich HELP.. (Read 1655 times) previous topic - next topic

87 Thunderchicken Running Rich HELP..

Well i'm new to the Ford world so i'm a little dumb on this.I changed my tranny in my bird witch has a 5.0 in it i went to a C6 Tranny.Well after the job was done i went to bring her home and found out that she won't idle and she is running way to rich.Mind you she ran fine before the tranny swop so i have no idea what the heck went wrong.

I've tryed everything and anything i could think of so now i'm so close to just burning it to the ground LOL.Although when i get her to go down the street when i stomp on her the power is right there but won't idle and is running way to rich i have done full tune up.PLEASE HELP.:beatyoass:

Reply #1
someone unplug the o2's while they were under there?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #2
No there were no 02's on it and it ran perfect.I would like to get it running right cause it was one bad ass running ride.Although if i can not get it figured out i might just sell it and the system that is in it and find a diff v8 lol but i just love the way these birds look and besides my brother is building a monte carlo and now he is talking  about it clipping my birds wings lol

Reply #3
Quote from: R4WTHUND3R;204696
No there were no 02's on it and it ran perfect.I would like to get it running right cause it was one bad ass running ride.Although if i can not get it figured out i might just sell it and the system that is in it and find a diff v8 lol but i just love the way these birds look and besides my brother is building a monte carlo and now he is talking  about it clipping my birds wings lol

It is fuel injected right?? if it isnt we need some more details to help you in this diagnosis
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
Yes sorry it is a 5.0 efi motor i have changed the fuel air controle valve i think it is called it is also killing the plugs super fast i mean put $30 dollars in gas to gomaybe 20 miles and it is empty thats how rich it is.

Reply #5
X2.What year is the car?Original engine?Carb or EFI?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
You have to have O2 sensors.How about the FPR?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
lol ok this is where the dumb part comes in to play what is a FPR?
Also this car with the tranny burnd up and stuck in 2nd gear still ran perfect and would do a 100.lol this car i have been working on about 5 months and it is getting sad:mad:

Reply #8
Fuel pressure regulator=FPR I think vin is saying maybe your fuel pressure is out of wack
if there is no O2 sensors in the exhaust it will screw up the computer big time.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #9
ok but my question is there were no 02's before the swap and it ran fine but with the swap somthing could have got bumped so how would i check or fix this FPR?SOrry i'm so dumb lol

Reply #10
Quote from: R4WTHUND3R;204708
ok but my question is there were no 02's before the swap and it ran fine but with the swap somthing could have got bumped so how would i check or fix this FPR?SOrry i'm so dumb lol

map sensor vac line could had been pulled off making it run bad.

you need to get some o2's in it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #11
If its fuel injected, there are O2 sensors. End of story.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #12
ok i will check map but i have no books on this so can i ask where it is?

Reply #13
Quote from: R4WTHUND3R;204714
ok i will check map but i have no books on this so can i ask where it is?

next to the vacspoogee tree on the driver side of the engine compartment
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #14
There should be two O2 sensors on the car.If your car has stock exhaust manifolds,they should be on the back of them,screwed in with small harnesses coming off of them.Perhaps the O-2 harness was unplugged.Did you remove the TV cable?