Skip to main content
Topic: E7 Heads + Stock Engine (Read 3222 times) previous topic - next topic

E7 Heads + Stock Engine

I'm going to take a few dollars and make myself happy by modding my car a bit.  I'd like to put a set of E7 heads on my stock 91' grand marquis engine along with a dual exhaust.  I already have stock mustang tubular manifolds and a stock h-pipe, the heads are my next buy.  Without going any further than this I should be fine not messing with any part of the fuel injection system correct?  I have the same SO 5.0L your cougars and t-birds have.
-Matt

1996 Probe GT
1968 Fairlane 500

Re: E7 Heads + Stock Engine

Reply #1
whats the casting number on your heads,,, ?> this does not make sense to me unless you have e6 heads.

Reply #3
Yeah, they're probably E6's from the factory. The Crown Vic/Grand Marquis had the same engine we did from 1986-88. Running E7's will be just fine.

Reply #4
eric,, he's got a 91'
are those still e6 head on that year?
or is it that the engine's not original.

Reply #5
my 91 cron vic has e6's
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
I've got E6's on a 65k engine, gotta love old drivers.
-Matt

1996 Probe GT
1968 Fairlane 500

Reply #7
E6's have an extremely broad torque range.  If the cam you have in that Crown Vic is similar to ours I'd say you'll be more happy leaving the E6 heads on with a car that is I would guess about 400-500 pounds heavier than say an 88 5.0 T-bird Sport.  Do the exhaust, swap an HO upper on her, and maybe some 1.7:1 roller rockers.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
Can the SO computer handle E6 heads with 1.7 rockers, SO cam, 14lb injectors, HO upper intake + TB & EGR, and HO dual exhaust? What kind of HP can you expect? +ve or -ve effect on torque?
87 Sport with HO cam, 19# injectors,TB+Upper Intake,87 Mustang EEC, Cloyes double roller timing chain, Kirban adj. fuel regulator and Autometer fuel pres. guage, HO shorty headers + LSC H-pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo lers, Ford Racing 9mm wires, K&N filter / no air resonator, 8.8 XR7 Diff., V rated tires, Project ongoing.

Reply #9
Quote from: SRBird
Can the SO computer handle E6 heads with 1.7 rockers, SO cam, 14lb injectors, HO upper intake + TB & EGR, and HO dual exhaust? What kind of HP can you expect? +ve or -ve effect on torque?

Yes
Yes: stock flow
Yes: should be obvious!
Yes: yes, only difference I believe is throttle body opening
yes: HO TB is either 58mm or 60 depend on year i think
yes/kinda: as long as you stick with 1 1/2 header/manifolds and i think 2 1/4 exhaust there on out.
Hp= (according to coolcats.net) 200hp, though i think that includes e7te heads. Eric can confirm this.
torque should be around the same + or - a few
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #10
I'd say on a car like the one you have, with the combination you are intending, E6 heads would be at least as good as E7s. Your money would be much better spent upgrading gears than heads at this point.

Reply #11
I went from e6's to e7's and I did not feel any loss of torque, only a gain from 4k up.  This was on a 2900 pound mustang with a 5 speed though not a 4000 lb crown vic although Id bet a dollar that the e7's make more torque and power everywhere in the powerband if not it would be at rpm's below the converter stall anyway.

Reply #12
Well in defense of the E7 head design they were originally put on ford's truck engines before the mustang adopted them.  Trucks need the torque for pulling cargo and trailers so they should be adequate in my land barge.  The E6's are more for economy, and the majority of the original owners of t-birds and crown vic weren't quite as concerned with going fast as the owners down the line are, so its a good match.

Anyway, I found pretty much everything I need for a full HO swap on my car over the weekend.  I now have E7's, A complete intake, mustang computer, HO cam, 19lb injectors, headers, and a mustang h-pipe.  I'm going to get the heads looked over and hopefully get the job done over my spring break if the weather is decent.
-Matt

1996 Probe GT
1968 Fairlane 500