Skip to main content
Topic: Hoodlems (Read 5803 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Hoodlems

Reply #15
I don't leave anything in my car and I have the STOCK stereo.  The speakers are upgraded, but hidden behind the factory covers.  As far as some morons taking it for a joyride....let's just say I disable the car when I park it somewhere (Ancient Chinese Secret...You must first take the stone from my hand before you too can be a master, Grasshopper).  The moron would have to go to the auto parts store to get it started.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #16
Do you have your started wired through an oil pressure gauge?
I have had a few old hot rodders tell me to do this.

You have a button under the dash that you have to hold until the oil pressure gauge show pressure. Then you turn the key and away you go.

Not sure how well this works.

Reply #17
Here's the pics of the damage the dumbass's did to get into my trunk even though my car was backed right up against a wall(1" bumper clearance) and my faceplated for my dvd and deck where removed.
I thought my trunk would be pretty safe(think again)it's just as easy for some punks to get at your amps and subs.
Luckly my box is so big(5 cubic feet) that they could not move it or steal my subs so all they took was my amps from my trunk.
However they did manage to steal my drop down tv by riping the shiznit out of my headliner.
Anyways all was insured and i now have the ultimate security system,anti theft devices and even better equipment.
My security system is a paging ungo 5000,with a mini pain siren mounted it the dash(you don't want to sit in there long,trust me it hurts)my factory hood realease is fake,and i mounted one were it will never be found so cuting my batt cable to disable my alarm ain't gonna happen.
Also my trunk lock is in place but if removed(while alarm is going off and me running down the street with a bat)the lock is disabled at the latch so it cannot be turned with a screw driver,now if they do manage to break in to my trunk my amps are hidden in the trank well half under my giant sub box and cannot easily be removed,o i think i forgot to mention they'll never see the amps due to the fact that the carpeted board the hids them is chained to the floor with 1800 pound test chain  large pad locks that would take for ever to cut even with the biggest bolt cutters.
Anyways enough of my chatter here's my pics.

Reply #18
----------------

Reply #19
Trunk is the EASIEST spot to get into in these cars.  I've actually locked my keys in the trunk and the two times I did it there was no way to get to the other set my wife has.  Never had to drill a lock or bend/break anything.  It takes about 90 seconds.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #20
God ...  This thread is making me feel REALLY insecure!  And I may regret asking, but in the interest of finding a way to make the car safer, what's the trunk popping secret?

Um, I think I'm gonna go and figure out how to make a cover plate for my head unit that'll snap on and look like a nasty old AM-only Monoaural head.

Reply #21
No secret just use the trunk realease button or the remote button on your alarm with an actuator if you don't have auto realease.

Reply #22
That's not it.  I don't have a trunk release and I can STILL get in in under 90 seconds.  I've changed mine a little so it would be harder, but I can still do it. 
Open your trunks and take a step back and look at em.....

Reply #23
I have it down to about 2 min using a coat hanger inside the door. I know it isn't lighting fast but it makes you wonder. The only thing I can say about our doors is It is a pita unless you know exactly where to slide the coat hanger in at.

Reply #24
Doors take me a little longer than the trunk and like you said its a matter of knowing where to slide the hanger/slimjim.

Reply #25
Last summer when my stereo was stolen I was more upset about the damage to the car than I was about the stereo. It was a cheapo JVC MP3 CD deck that cost me all of $99, but some crackhead wanted it.

To get it, he
1) Jammed a screwdriver in between the right window and the moulding, badly bending the moulding and breaking the window
2) Grabbed the radio/HVAC bezel and ripped it off the dash, taking parts of the dash with it
3) Grabbed the radio itself and ripped it out of the dash, once again taking part of the dash with it
4) Pulled a bunch of harness out of the dash, breaking and chaffing a few wires within that harness

Luckily I am handy with electronics and fiberglass so I got it all back together nicely, but I was still pissed.  The car had an alarm at the time of the break-in, but my mother had borrowed it and did not set the alarm.

The alarm. Since the break-in I've done some changes. While in itself it is not a particulary sophisticated piece (combo remote starter/alarm/remote keyless entry) I've done a few things to it to make it a bit more effective. It is very well hidden in the car, and everywhere it is electrically connected to the car is done in a way that makes it look like a factory harness, so the thief would not know where to start disconnecting it. I've also got it attached to the horn and wigwag flashers in addition to the cheapo siren speaker that came with it, but the kicker is the 100 watt Federal police siren connected to the alarm, with the speaker (A Federal MS100 Dynamax) mounted under the passenger's seat. I don't know what the dB rating of a police siren is, but I guarantee that you would be hard pressed to stay inside the car with that thing yelping away. This summer I will be adding four-corner strobes to the mix for added sparkle. I might still end up losing a window but it would take a desperate thief to go any further.

I just wish the law didn't coddle criminals like it does, else I'd have a flyback transformer ready to give someone a nice jolt as soon as they touched the metal stereo housing. And razor blades strategically placed on the housing to ensure that the thief left plenty of DNA evidence behind.

When I was 16 I did y-trap the stereo in my old Firebird. After losing two stereos in two weeks I got fed up and installed a dummy stereo. It was a Clarion that I gutted and filled up with model rocket engines. I connected the ignitors to the power wires going into the radio, and it looked stock. I even ran a dummy harness into the dash of the Firebird to make it look real. When it got stolen I gleefully awaited hearing the news of somebody burning their hands off or burning their car to pieces, but I never did. To this day I don't even know if my "bomb" went off, but I certainly hope so...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #26
HAHAHA ,yea i hear ya on that, i'd love to rig up some flames that shoot out the side upon opening my door if not disarmed,possibly a large electric shock that would leave the thief dead on the floor.
I say that if someone breaks into your car or house you should have the right to do whatever you want to them as they had no right to be there in the first place.
If a law like that were passed(never gonna happen)then i bet you'd see house and car theft go down a hell of alot!
It's ok though because the alarm i bought never falses and if set off it pages me,so i'm gonna catch whoever tries it and since i have keyless and illuminated entry,just touching my keypad or my door handle will alert me,then somebody better look out!

Reply #27
If I recall, didn't Texas change the law a few years ago, extending the "house threshold" to include your vehicle? The point was so that homeowners could shoot or otherwise treat car thieves the same way as someone entering their house. Anyone in Texas know?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #28
Would that include if the vehicle is in fact not on your property at the time?  Like if it was parked in front of the house?

Reply #29
Wait...I could be mistaken here, but the law does NOT allow you to shoot, kill or otherwise maim someone who is tresspassing on your property or trying to break into your car unless certain conditions exist. The typical example is setting up a y trap in your home that kills a teenage thief who breaks in - the owner of the home will be prosecuted even though it is their property and the minor was committing a crime. In order to be qualified as self-defense, the tresspasser/criminal must also clearly threaten your own life or body. Life-threatening force can only be used to counter life-threatening actions. Of course, there's always a gray area in most situations, but I'm really hoping no one on this board thinks they can gun down or badly burn a petty thief and expect to be free of legal punishment.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7