Skip to main content
Topic: oil pressure gauges (Read 891 times) previous topic - next topic

oil pressure gauges

have 87 thunderbird 3.8 putting a oil p auge on it can figure out were it goes help please

oil pressure gauges

Reply #1
Look around the engine near the oil filter and around the front and sides of the block. I have never been up close and personal with a 3.8 but generally you'll find a threaded plug in the above-mentioned areas on most engines, remove the plug and screw in your pressure gauge fittings or sending unit. If it's a sending unit go real light on the thread sealer/tape as the sender grounds through the metal it's installed in.

oil pressure gauges

Reply #2
I roll with a 3.8 in my Bird. We installed an oil pressure guage when dropping in the new 3.8.  On the front of the block, there is a small, tight area for the fitting to screw into. 

Drop me a private message on here if you'd like with your email address and I can email you images of the motor that may help you.

Check out my cardomain page - I might have one or two on there.

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

oil pressure gauges

Reply #3
looking directly at the oil filter,,,,,,
oil presure switch is at your 2 o'clock.

Your 3.8 has an external pump as well.

Also, within the timing cover just behind the gear set is a proportion valve that consists of a freeze plug, spring and one proportioning valve.  If the valve has burred the cover , then it will not slide left to right completely and cause incorrect readings / improper oil circulation.  bad design but it is what it is.