Skip to main content
Topic: Aussie 4.0L I6 (Read 4744 times) previous topic - next topic

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #30
Quote from: V8Demon;202778
Boss 290 was a 4.6. Basically an 03-04 Cobra motor.  The new 5.4 is an N/a  version with 400+ hp.........Where the hell was this motor 3 years ago??!!!  GTO/Vette killer right there!
The Australian Boss motors are all N/A 5.4L DOHC. I'm not sure Ford AU has ever used the 4.6L. I think they have a hardon for the 4.0L I6 and the 5.4L.

The closet comparable Ford NA motor has been the 2000 Cobra R powerplant. However, it didn't have variable intake/exhaust valve timing and other tech goodies.

The 260kW version was produced from 2002-2005 [349hp@5250rpm 369ft-lb@4250rpm]
The 290kW version was produced from 2006-2007 [389hp@5500rpm 384ft-lb@4500rpm]
The 302kW version is new for '08.            [405hp@6000rpm 398ft-lb@4750rpm]

2000 Cobra R made 385hp@6250rpm 385ft-lb@4250rpm

Crazy thing is the Boss shortblocks and head are built in Ontario and shipped to AU. :wtf:

I wouldn't call the Boss a GTO/Vette killer unless you're referring to the LS1. At least the 302kW is equal to the LS6 and LS2...the only other Fords to achieve that are/were the GT500 and the GT.

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #31
Coulda swore it was a 4.6.....Eh Aint the first time I was wrong....I'll try and make it the last.....Either way That's the kind of power that Ford should have thrown back at GM.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #32
What's the difference between the Aussie 5.4 and the 5.4 in the American trucks?

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #33
Quote from: P71;202235
That made me smile oldraven, thanks!

I love that engine. I really wish Ford would sell the Falcon XR6 in NA.

welcome to the forum!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #34
Quote from: shame302;202560
i love it when peolpe say shiznit like this. you say it like you could actually afford it. if you could, you wouldnt be driving what your driving. ABM is natorious for this. (no offense guys, im playing). its one of those things that irritates me for some reason.

That's not true at all. Have you ever been to a military base man? I have seen Colonels driving around in POS cars even a chief that I know really well. They could easily afford that car and decide to drive older cars. How can you judge how much money someone makes by what car they drive?? Just wondering.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #35
Quote from: oldraven;202810
What's the difference between the Aussie 5.4 and the 5.4 in the American trucks?
Looks like I was incorrect on some points.

The wikipedia page says the short block and heads are assembled in Ontario, which cannot be true since Ford AU says that they source the pistons locally and modify the connecting rods. Ford AU also says the heads are modified Cobra R castings and that the intakes are locally sourced.
The Boss 5.4s don't have VCT (VVT, or whatever you'd like to call it), but the 4.0 and the Barra (SOHC) 5.4s do. I don't know about the other stuff (crank, cam, etc).

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #36
If I told you guys how much my 2 car payments are tight now, most of you would pass out....Keep in mind I also make a mortgage payment 30 miles from Ground Zero on a house bought after 9/11 (prices skyrocketed).

I have seen Colonels driving around in POS cars even a chief that I know really well. They could easily afford that car and decide to drive older cars. How can you judge how much money someone makes by what car they drive?? Just wondering.

Doubt it....Factor in a spouse, kids, mortgage (or savings fund for a house upon separation from the military).  Could they afford it?  Yeah.  Easily?!  Hmm...again. doubt it.

I wouldn't call the Boss a GTO/Vette killer unless you're referring to the LS1. At least the 302kW is equal to the LS6 and LS2...the only other Fords to achieve that are/were the GT500 and the GT.

Exactly....Now Imagine that motor in a base Mustang GT and a forced induction variant in an upscale version.  A level playing field....
The 300 HP variant 3V 4.6 in a stang was faster through the 1320 in multiple tests than a 350 HP Pontaic GTO.  Add 95 HP 75 TQ.  12's from the factory could have been done with a full warantee and N/A for under $30K if the foresight had been in place.

I digress.  Why buy new?  Convenience comes to mind.  The wife wouldn't be too happy if some unforeseen event occurs on a family trip in the older car after she's been nagging you for a new car for 6 months.  With a warantee comes piece of mind for many as well.  Problem is you have to be a squeaky wheel to get the most out of it nowadays....
For me the S-197 Mustang was the first V8 powered RWD American car since 1993 that had [COLOR="Red"]ANY[/COLOR][/B] soul whatsoever and was affordable enough to where I wouldn't feel bad cracking into it and doing performance modifications.
I actually had a conversation with a guy last week who was complaining about how the average GT500 owner doesn't do enough "modding" to their cars.  Intake, tune, and pulley swap.  Where were the Kenne Bell blower swaps he asked....  For the base price those cars are, the fact that you can't get one without a lot of options, and the dealer markup in this part of the US (they still command 20K over sticker), I wouldn't do much to it either...
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #37
Quote from: shame302;202729
okay then thats 750 month. no tax and no insurance. go for it high roller. thats cool if you live at home with mom.

I'm single and live in my own house with no kids or wife to support. I have it easier than someone with a family, kids, and school bills to worry about.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #38
Yes but you also look very proud in those pictures with your girlfriend.  ;)  You will be there someday ;)  As will I.  :)
One 88

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #39
That's not true at all. Have you ever been to a military base man? I have seen Colonels driving around in POS cars even a chief that I know really well. They could easily afford that car and decide to drive older cars. How can you judge how much money someone makes by what car they drive?? Just wondering.
meh. your right. its wrong to make such a generalization. fact of the mater is i was just trying to make a point. most of the time people are just talking shiznit. if he could afford it cool. i know way too many people in debt way over the eyeballs just to make it look like they are well off or even just keeping up with the joneses.

on another note. that turbo L6 is sweet but any 03-04 cobra engine setup with say a hellion turbo kit would trump that. i understand how cool it is to hate the top dog though. dont be hatin.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #40
Quote from: shame302;202897
meh. your right. its wrong to make such a generalization. fact of the mater is i was just trying to make a point. most of the time people are just talking shiznit. if he could afford it cool. i know way too many people in debt way over the eyeballs just to make it look like they are well off or even just keeping up with the joneses.

on another note. that turbo L6 is sweet but any 03-04 cobra engine setup with say a hellion turbo kit would trump that. i understand how cool it is to hate the top dog though. dont be hatin.

No one's hating. We're just showing that alternatives can be just as good. For that hellion turbo kitted 4.6, there are kits for the Barra 245T as well. Remember that dyno video with an 1100horse setup?

And by the looks of things it's not the 4.6 that is the top dog in the Ford house, it's the Boss 302 spec 5.4.

As for your other statement, I agree. Way too many people pretending to be a baller. That's why you'll never hear me talk about what big plans I have for the TC. I used to share that stuff when I first got the car, but reality set in and now the only time I talk up my car is when I've actually done something to it.... which is rare. With pockets like mine, I have dreams, not plans. Maybe someday.

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #41
Way too many people pretending to be a baller. That's why you'll never hear me talk about what big plans I have for the TC. I used to share that stuff when I first got the car, but reality set in and now the only time I talk up my car is when I've actually done something to it.... which is rare

That's called growing wiser;)

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #42
the boss 302 may be decent but its NA. likely it has the same drawbacks as al lthe NA modulars. powder rods and pistons. if thats trur the termie engine still wins. they can put down 1200 hp with either hellions kit or HPs. doesnt realy matter anyway. ill never get to play anywhere near that ballpark.

anyway. i personally would LOVE one of those turbo L6 engines in an 87-88 tbird body. that with a 6 speed would be frickin sick. i could only imagine what it would cost to sneek one over.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #43
Quote from: P71;202235
That made me smile oldraven, thanks!

I love that engine. I really wish Ford would sell the Falcon XR6 in NA.

Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;202812
welcome to the forum!

LMMFAO!!
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Aussie 4.0L I6

Reply #44
Quote from: shame302;202909
i personally would LOVE one of those turbo L6 engines in an 87-88 tbird body. that with a 6 speed would be frickin sick. i could only imagine what it would cost to sneek one over.

And that would be the dream I was referring to. ;)

That's called growing wiser ;)

Here I thought I was only growing older and less interesting. :hick: