Skip to main content
Topic: 84 Tbird Turbo Coupe (Read 935 times) previous topic - next topic

84 Tbird Turbo Coupe

I'm thinking about getting a 84 Turbo Coupe, But it doesn't start. The engine will turn over all day, But won't start. What would be causing this? I heard that it probably is the timing, How could I check this before I buy the car? Thanks.

84 Tbird Turbo Coupe

Reply #1
Broken timing belt, broken PIP in the distributor, blown head gasket, fuel pump relay is off, bad coil, sheared distributor gear, there are a ton of things that could be it.

To check the timing pull the distributor cap off and look at the rotor while turning the engine over, if it doesn't turn then it's either the timing belt or distributor gear.

84 Tbird Turbo Coupe

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply! How hard are these to work on? I don't know a whole lot about cars. I also found out that is a 86 instead of a 84 like the guys mom said it was.

84 Tbird Turbo Coupe

Reply #3
What about fuel spark and air?

Check fuel pressure at the rail and injector pulses with a test light
Check for flashes on a spark plug wire with a timing light
Pull off a vacuum hose and crank to ensure your IAC isn't frozen.

Then check all the things listed by Aerobird.

84 Tbird Turbo Coupe

Reply #4
I had a guy over at the TCCoA Forums do a Carfax for me on the car and I found out that it has a NAM(Not Actual Miles) Title and that it had been involved in a rear end collision on October in 2002. It said that the car had Moderate to Severe damage.... It does need the front bumper and headlights replaced, A replacement comes with the car. I'm going to have to check the car over with a magnifieng glass. Do you guys think the car is worth it since it has been in a accident?

84 Tbird Turbo Coupe

Reply #5
I dunno was it fixed right? got pics?
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

84 Tbird Turbo Coupe

Reply #6
Don't know. It needs the front bumper replaced, I can't remember what the guys story was, But it does come with a replacement. It also has a pretty big dent in the rear quarter panel. I don't have any Pics right now, I'll try to get some by this weekend. I would like to get the car, But I'm worried about it not having the actual miles on it and it beeing in an accident. If I know the guy, He will probably say that I would be getting a hell of a deal on it for $500, But I would NEVER give him that much for a car that has been in a accident and will have a title that always will say that it does not have the actual miles on it. I figure that $200-$250 will be the most I will give him. He also has a Intercooler for it that he says he will sell seperatly for $50, Will it fit right being that it a 86?