Skip to main content
Topic: Bad news in the auto industry all-around (Read 2246 times) previous topic - next topic

Bad news in the auto industry all-around

Reply #15
It gets better! Ford is selling Jag and Land Rover (we all knew that right?)

Guess who the buyer is?

Tata!

That's right Tata, the Indian company who makes the $3000 new car.

Guess what else? Ford is selling them 100%! (Instead of just a minority share like Aston to Prodrive)

Yay!

Reply #16
Oh, come on. Tell me you're not dying to go to a dealership and say to a saleswoman "So.... show me your Tatas" :tetas:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #17
I am :D

I just don't want it to be at a Jag dealer :(

Reply #18
Quote from: Cougar8775;201171
well the way i see the market ford or chevy needs to make a car that is afordable to the american public. thats the way i see them regaining control of the market. Lets face facts, the average american buyer can't afford a $50,000 car payment ontop of there already crazy morgage.

Have you seen the new Malibu? Astra? Vue? All very much under the $50G mark, and all very good cars.

Carmen, that's probably the nicest '84 left, too. :toilet: That's awesome. I've always called them Korean Chevettes as well. :D

AM, Jag and LR have been up for complete sale since they first sold Aston Martin. It's just taken this long to wittle down the contenders. Personally, I can't see anything more ironic than to see the Colony owning two of the most iconic brands of the Empire Motherland. It would be like Ford being bought by a company in Panama, or Vietnam. Crazy. Did you know that Ford tried to sell Volvo last year, but no one would take it from them? Not even Volvo's Heavy Equipment manufacturer, who split from Volvo cars when Ford bought that division.

Reply #19
...and yet Volvo is one of Ford's few bright spots. Volvo is actually making money, and right now Ford is using so many Volvo chassis, especially in Europe, that I don't see HOW Volvo could be split off...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #20
Being in the truck industry, hearing about Isuzu sales being stopped is actually shocking. Isuzu trucks are some of the most affordable, durable, and easiest to maintain, especially for the small business owners. Hopefully they were only talking about automotive sales.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #21
Isuzu hasn't sold cars in 14 years. So yes, they're talking about truck sales. It's a 100% pullout.

Reply #22
Shawn is talking about Isuzu NPR's, commercial and fleet trucks.  I bet they kill off the Colorado looking thing but Isuzu commercial vehicles are all over the place.
One 88

Reply #23
I forgot about those. Interesting question, the press releases all say complete pull out (including paying off the Isuzu-only dealers) but they don't mention the NPR or anything commercial.

Are they even the same company anymore (like how Hyundai's heavy equipment and car divisions split but both kept the name)?

Reply #24
I read an article that Isuzu is only pulling out of the light truck market. Considering there hasn't been a "real" Isuzu truck sold in NA in years it's not a big shocker. According to the article I'd read, Isuzu is sticking around in the light commercial and medium duty truck markets, as well as the diesel market (which means GM will continue selling Duramaxes)

Actually, as much as I hated working on them, Isuzu used to have some pretty interesting vehicles. The AWD turbo Impulse (those things were FAST), the V6 2-door soft-top Amigo (never sold in Canada, otherwise I'd own one as a woods toy) and the last generation Trooper were actually pretty nice vehicles, and the VehiCross was weird but neat. Even the first-gen Rodeo was alright. For a shiznitbox, the turbo I-Mark was alright as well. Lotus did the suspensions for all Isuzu cars, so they handled like they were glued to the road.

Isuzu, like Mercury, was orphaned in Canada years ago. Unlike Isuzu, though, you can still get parts for Mercury cars here.

It's no wonder Isuzu never caught on up here in the Great White North. We never had dedicated Isuzu dealerships - Isuzu came to Canada in '87 sold under GM's "Passport" name (along with a Daewoo-built car called the Optima, identical to the American Pontiac LeMans) In '92 they were moved to the Saturn/Saab/Isuzu franchises (Saturns didn't come here until '92). In the early 90's GM had another identity crisis and created the "Geo" brand, which became the franchise for the only Isuzu car left, the Impulse (called Geo Storm). Then another mid 90's identity crisis, and the car was changed to the Asuna Sunfire (sold alongside a rebadged Sidekick called the Asuna Sunrunner).

Reply #25
That makes a lot more sense!

And yeah, the whole barely-rebadged GM trucks were just sad, I'm glad Mazda quit that awhile ago.

Reply #26
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;201687
That makes a lot more sense!

And yeah, the whole barely-rebadged GM trucks were just sad, I'm glad Mazda quit that awhile ago.

That's what you call "Full Circle". In the beginning Ford, GM and Dodge all sold rebadged puppiesanese trucks as their own (Chevy Luv = Isuzu, Dodge D-50 = Mitsubishi, Ford Courier = Mazda). Now it's the other way around. Mitsubishi = Dakota, Mazda B-series = Ranger, and Isuzu = S-10/Colorado.

Reply #27
Funny how the Mitsubishi truck looks ten times better than the Dakota, while the other variants look like pooh.
One 88

Reply #28
I agree. My father's got an '05 Dakota 4X4 V8 Club Cab, and I think it looks like ass. The Mitsu version looks MUCH better (but it's unavailable with a V8). The Dakota interior is absolutely horrible. It's cramped (there's more room inside my regular cab F-150) and the plastics are all hard and cheap. It's probably a legal thing, but there are head rests glued to the back window, making rearward visibility non-existent.

Reply #29
;)
One 88