Skip to main content
Topic: Bad news in the auto industry all-around (Read 2248 times) previous topic - next topic

Bad news in the auto industry all-around

First Chrysler announced the Dodge Demon sports car will be based on a FWD Chinese platform (from Cherry who's currently inundated with lawsuits from BMW and Mercedes for design copyright infringement:toilet: ).

Then today Isuzu announced it was ceasing all US sales operations effective January 2009 (not that anybody even noticed they still existed in the first place).

Is there anything to look forward to that will be affordable?

Reply #1
I dunno, seeing Isuzu finally die seems like good news to me...

...but then I'm biased - I worked on the frickin' things for six years...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
The Chinese stealing designs?  I'm shocked, shocked!
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
LOL at both comments :hick:

Reply #5
the whole auto scene is agitating to say the least.  Depressing is more like it. Hopefully time will come for us to trade freely with canada and mexico while pulling the chocks on the china market.  They do not play by any written rules.  Too bad we owe them so much money now though.

Reply #6
I saw an isuzu canyon.... It freaked me out. I haven't seen one that wasn't a rodeo in so long.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
I thought all the Isuzus on the market right now were just rebadged GM vehicles anyway?

Does that mean they won't be selling Duramax diesels to GM anymore?

Ah well, you all know the definition of Chinese R&D..."Receive & Duplicate"

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #8
I actually think hearing about Isuzu's death is good news one less Chinese/puppiesanese auto maker selling their  on American soil.

Reply #10
Quote from: t3skidoo;201066
The Chinese stealing designs?  I'm shocked, shocked!

They're not stealing the Demon. Dodge is going to have it built by Cherry.

And as for the Duramax, I don't think we'll be seeing these for long anyway. GM is now working on a smaller Diesel V8 for their trucks, and I'd guess a full size replacement for the DMax is in the works. The mystery to me is will they continue to use Allison Transmissions now that they've sold their stake in the company.

Reply #11
well the way i see the market ford or chevy needs to make a car that is afordable to the american public. thats the way i see them regaining control of the market. Lets face facts, the average american buyer can't afford a $50,000 car payment ontop of there already crazy morgage. So basically the auto makers need to see that and say hey lets make the car or truck affordable again. and on top of it making it fuel efficient. but thats how i see it. and yes im sure its a pipe dream. But also with any auto maker trying to bring back the mucle cars of the 60's and 70's there really isn't a huge market for it.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #12
Well gm already said there cars are goin up in price,soon.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #13
There already are, and have always been, affordable cars on the marketplace. The Chevy Aveo, for example, starts at under $10k.

Problem is, people don't want 'em. They want their cars to be rolling living rooms with all the features of a Lexus but with the price of an Aveo.

'Nuther problem is that bottom-feeder cars provide plenty of volume but little profit. Any carmaker would rather sell a half million SUV's at $5k/vehicle profit than sell a million econopoopsters at $500/vehicle profit.

As for GM saying they're going up in price: Don't count on it.  on China all you want, but when they start selling cars here the other manufacturers (including puppiesan and Korea) will have to keep their prices in check or they'll lose sales. It's one thing to drive the price of something up because people have no alternative (such as with gasoline), but it's another to jack your prices up when the customer need only walk across the road to a China, Inc dealership and get a lower price. As for quality: We Canadians know how a company can come up from the abyss, quality wise. You guys only THINK the Excel was Hyundai's worst car. You've never experienced the Pony or Stellar. We also know just how badly a company can make cars and go out of business if it doesn't improve (the Russian Lada).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
For those of you who have no idea what a Hyundai Pony is, I present exhibit A. Think of it as a Korean Chevette, but without the technology or build quality of a real Chevette. Powered by a Mitsubishi 1.6 OHC engine fed by a carb with manual choke (and a manual heat riser valve - you had to get under the hood and flick it to WINTER or SUMMER mode), sparked by a points-type distributor, channeled through a 4-speed manual (later were 5-speeds) or 3-speed automatic to a live rear axle.

Power windows? Nope. Power locks? Nope. A/C? Roll the windows down. Want a radio? The dealership can install one for you - they'll just contract it to the local stereo shop, then double the price.

My ex-girlfriend had one. The headlights stopped working so I started troubleshooting. Every single wire in the car was either white, yellow, or blue. A 2-inch-thick bundle of wires in the dash, all the wires the same colours. I ended up installing a toggle switch in the dash.

And now, I present to you, Hyundai's first brave attempt at the North American market nearly 25 years ago, available in Canada only because there was no way it would have met US emissions and crash requirements, the lowly 1984 Pony: