Skip to main content
Topic: I really HATE the 2.3 !! (Read 24913 times) previous topic - next topic

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #105
Quote from: t3skidoo;200408
+1  TCs were never designed to be drag strip kings.  Ford used the 2.3 for weight distribution, not weight savings.

either way there is no chance a TC will  run with ANYTHING with an LS1  Hell, My bird would walk stock fox stangs, but even I knew I didn't stand a chance against somthing with an LS1...  They have handling AND power...  TC has handling...  I want video proof...

Shawn, when you get you car done....  yeah that thing will be an animal....  That suspension it going to ROCK, and I wanna go for a rip at CJ...  but I cant see you staying with some of the cars you say it can...  next time you go out and play with these cars, get it on film for us....  Personally, I dont know where you think Chris has thousands into his car...  He was VERY smart, and patient with his money and found KILLER deals on the stuff...  As I said, he has about the same amount in his car NOW as you do in yours...

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #106
What the hell is happening to this board?

Yes, a V8 is going to produce more power than a 4 cylinder.  If you bought a Turbo Coupe so you could beat everything on the street, I've got an island I'm selling cheap in the Nevada desert.  So what's the argument here?  That its unreliable?  I don't see how anyone can prove it either way.  But I certainly don't think you should shoot down a motor that half the people of this forum are running without anything to back it up.  You can share your personal experience, but just because it didn't run perfect for you doesn't mean the motor is horrible.  My $.02.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #107
So what's the verdict, then? Is it Shawn or Dominator who has the bigger dick? :rolleyes:

I love my 2.3T, and will NEVER own a 302. That's because I'm happy with keeping my 2.3 as a DD and under 300hp. That and I believe the thing that made the TC special was the motor, not the hood scoops and rear end. If I want a crazy fast rig, it won't be with either engine. If I want to build a toy, I'll use my 383. But I really enjoy being able to drive my 2.3 to work every day, (or at least, I did, when we could afford having two cars on the road), and sipping fuel all day long. When I want to use the turbo4 for fun, I can. I won't embarrass many built cars on the highway with it, but I'll still have fun.

There are people and cars for whom the 2.3T is a perfect fit. HP junkies who don't want to do frequent repairs just aren't these people.

Who drives a Ford for their reliability anyway? :shakeass: You drive it because it goes like a raped ape, two days of the week.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #108
Quote from: oldraven;200448
You drive it because it goes like a raped ape, two days of the week.

+1 lmao

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #109
I probably won't wrench on a v8 until I can afford to turbo charge one.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #110
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;200431
either way there is no chance a TC will  run with ANYTHING with an LS1  Hell, My bird would walk stock fox stangs, but even I knew I didn't stand a chance against somthing with an LS1...  They have handling AND power...  TC has handling... 

My Bird (with its old set-up) ran door to door with an LS1 T/A from 20-100 mph.....he didn't start to pull away until 100+.  Could I have taken him in the 1/4...no, for multiple reasons.

I never claim that it's the fastest thing around, but I know it can hold its own, and would do even better if I could drive for shiznit.  You can't use the it costs a bunch of money to make a 2.3T move in my instance because I NEVER dump a bunch of money into my cars.  If your only concern and measure about a car is the 1/4 mile, then yeah, most TC's aren't going to put down the numbers. You can't count out a TC on the road though. 

Now, onto the rest of this thread....shiznit better calm back down, or it will be my turn...

:beatyoass:
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #111
Quote from: kingcars;200396
I also dont know why everybody thinks 1/4mi times are the be-all-end-all. I run mid 15s, which is slow as poo when compared to some other cars, but I enjoy the living  out of every bit of it. Isn't that what really matters? Who cares if a car runs 12s, 14s, 15s, etc or has a 2.3, 5.0, 351, or 3.8....just enjoy the  thing!

I like 0-60, and actually in the case of my car with the 2.73s, 0-50 since it will do that in 1st gear. :hick:

Though the way the HO powerband is I like holding it in 1st, easing up to about 25ish and stomping on it. WHOAAAA
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #112
Quote from: ZondaC12;200452
I like 0-60, and actually in the case of my car with the 2.73s, 0-50 since it will do that in 1st gear. :hick:

Though the way the HO powerband is I like holding it in 1st, easing up to about 25ish and stomping on it. WHOAAAA

Yeah I startled myself a while ago on a cool, crisp night and stomping it from a 30mph roll.  WOW she took off!

PS - post once more already, Mr 999 posts.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #113
and gettin back to reliability of a built 2.3T once more, this is how i see things.
when you build a 5.0 you have a HUGE aftermarket supporting you. seriously, any shmuck can build a 5.0. please note i did not say every person who builds a 5.0 is a shmuck, so lets not go there. you can build off of thousands of combos before you, and pick from hundreds of vendors to tune it.
you build a 2.3T on the other hand, your choices are much more limited, and you hafta figure out alot of things on your own. sure guys have tried lots of things, but that doesnt mean it gonna work for you, everytime. the reliability of a built 2.3T is set squarely on the shoulders of the person buildin it. it is not the motors fault, period.

as i have stated, i have not jumped into the world of tuning as of yet. i have left my combo workable with what ive got for a few reasons, but that will change in the future and my next engine performance purchase will be a WBO2. i am curious however; how did you tune your combo aBM? i have never seen any tuner/tuning or even a WBO2 in any of your mods lists...
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #114
Quote from: gumby;200463
i am curious however; how did you tune your combo aBM? i have never seen any tuner/tuning or even a WBO2 in any of your mods lists...

*licks finger and sticks it in the air*

:hick:

That about right, Michael? 

:D
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #115
the reason you build a 2.3t are because you don't want to be like every other person and build a v8. the dare to do it different it what it is all about. yes you can make good power with a 2.3t and still get decent mileage. if you want your 2.3t to go faster in the 1/4 mile then put the motor in something that weights less. if you want to make your bird/cougar a 1/4 mile killer now matter what motor you use it will take lots of dough.  one thing is certain coming on here and talking trash or  and moaning won't do you any good.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #116
Quote from: Chuck W;200466
*licks finger and sticks it in the air*

:hick:

That about right, Michael? 

:D

Yup :hick: I tuned it at the track using the timeslip, AFPR, Gillis Valve, and adjustable cam gear. 30-33MPG on the highway (cruise on, 70MPH) and it trapped 92-94 in 3rd. My tune was pretty conservative (and pretty good for no dyno time).

You guys have to realize that I agree with oldraven. Kept to stock, or very mildly modified levels, the TC/2.3T is a BLAST! I have such a hard time not buying a clean, low mileage one to just drive everyday and enjoy. On the street, for the money, you just can't beat the fun of a TC.

MY problem is, I also want to go fast and rip-snort through the 1/4 mile. That's why I'm going V8 from now on, on my race cars.

As for the "not the 2.3T's fault" comment, sorry, but a lot of it is. It's called "basic design principle". If the engineers make a fundamental mistake/design flaw, it stays with the engine until it's fixed by the factory (think PI 4.6's vs. non-PI ones) or by the aftermarket. The 2.3T is pretty stout, but it does have design weaknesses, and more so then the 5.0 or a 4-cylinder should have. But it's old so I can't really bad-mouth it too much for that.

I like this debate (partly because it's been raging in my own head for over a year). There are plusses and minuses to both engines (and other's like Sleeper's SBC and Cad-T-Bird's 500). My opinion is, a TC is best loved near-stock, and on the street. A V8 is what you want for ET/$.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #117
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;200469

You guys have to realize that I agree with oldraven. Kept to stock, or very mildly modified levels, the TC/2.3T is a BLAST!

On the street, for the money, you just can't beat the fun of a TC.
 My opinion is, a TC is best loved near-stock, and on the street. A V8 is what you want for ET/$.

I'll X2 this...  I've used TCs as daily drivers and the 5 speeds defiantly put a grin on your chin... With the boost up to 13-14 psi, the A4LD auto ran good in the now 5.0 TC... Power brake it to a few psi and it launched good from a stoplight... Hold it till about 6-7 psi(all it would make against the converter) and she'd smoke the tires 5-6 lengths...

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #118
Wow! I got an X2 from Tom!!!

I breakin out the Scotch.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #119
Quote from: oldraven;200476
Wow! I got an X2 from Tom!!!

I breakin out the Scotch.

:cheers: (and a couple hours later)... :drink: (I'm on the right)

I don't think you can find any post where I've said I did not like the 2.3T... If I did, musta been like the guy on the right...(fornicateed up)

It is an amazing piece of work for a early 70s engine... They had serious problems the first few years, common to bust #1 piston and wipe camshafts... By the time the TC's debuted some 10 years, late most of the issues had been resolved...