Skip to main content
Topic: cruise control (SOLVED) (Read 8497 times) previous topic - next topic

cruise control (SOLVED)

Reply #30
All is functional.  Cruise is up and running perfect.

I installed a clip that arrived from vinnie earlier today and tested each and every function. 

The clip vinnie sent me was slightly different from mine but i bent it a little here , and filed a little bit there and its fine.

I set my cruise down at the state park as low as 20mph and it held even going up a steep grade for about a half mile.

I tested out on the main road and upon arrival at a steep grade again, the cruise allowed passing gear to kick in.

NOW ITS SOLVED

cruise control (SOLVED)

Reply #31
Here's a slightly offtopic question, but with all the work you did I figure you're the guy to ask. If I wanted to trip a light when cruise is active ("speed cont" light on my modded dash), how would I do it? I figure that I might need either a relay or a TTL chip to isolate the light from whatever circuit would drive it so I don't draw much current, but what would be the best way to trip it?

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=15279
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

cruise control (SOLVED)

Reply #32
i replied to your thread,,,,,,btw,,,,

how'd you get sooooo many  green boxes?

Sure enough my clip was broken too.

Reply #33
Well, after trying the electronic control troubleshooting LAST summer, as did scott more recently...I figured the servo was dead, though I couldn't be sure. After doing one of the tests, and shutting the engine down, removing one of the leads I was instructed to connect, I heard a very apparent hissing/rushing noise. Didn't know enough but I had an inkling the unit wasn't totally dead.

Today I decide to tear into the thing, sure enough what do I find...same deal, the cable was detached. Though, my clip actually snapped off before the end that's curled around to hold the  at the end of the cable. Stupid y little weak-ass thing! :hick:

I pushed in the arm that obviously did the pulling on the cable, heard that familiar sound. Good news (hopefully!)

I cut up and bent some aluminum from a Lian-Li computer case optical drive slot cover, and made an entirely new clip. I throw it back together, sure enough, got cruise!!!! After at least 6 years it works finally! Sure made my dad livid when it conked out. And I made one 2.5 hr trip (each way) last summer to a big car show, and my right leg was aching by the end, so this will be very nice.

Sounds like this indeed is a very possible and likely occurrence, so check em!!!

Cheers,
Paul
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

cruise control (SOLVED)

Reply #34
dood,, you redesigned the whole clip.  Your design makes it forced to stay put.  I stared at the old clip and thought hard but never thought about that shape or how you shortened it up on the part where it hooks.

Kudos!!!!!!!!

cruise control (SOLVED)

Reply #35
Actually I should mention also that once the ball was up into the "hook" I took some electrical tape and wrapped it around the upper portion of the clip, covering the long slit I made, as well as the ball itself. I wrapped it a good 20 times around. :hick:  But it held fast. I don't know if there is ever extra slack in the cable, but if there's a chance there could be I didn't want the whole thing to just slip apart in an instant over something that silly. Here's to the new clip stayin together, I don't want it to fall apart again!!! Cruise control is so FUN!!!! I just drove around town aimlessly for like 10 minutes yesterday just futzing around with it!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Broken cruise control cable

Reply #36
Checked to see why my cruise control had stopped working on my 88 Tbird sport.What I found was a broken throttle cable.Then I tried to locate a replacement cable.Nothing,part is obsolete.Does anyone know of a source.If not I guess its the salvage yard.Even that gets harder with the price of s metal.All of them are being crushed.

cruise control (SOLVED)

Reply #37
Then you need to simply find thin cable that is the same diameter such as bike cable / shifter or brake which has a button on on one end already.  You will have to make a button for the other but that would consist of nothing more than a piece of little tubing crimped on.

I would make sure the button end of the cable was locate down at the servo.  I am sure there are many resources for generic cable with buttons on one end and a crimp on button for the other.

cruise control (SOLVED)

Reply #38
nice work, but your leg was aching?!?  Try driving from WI to CA without cruise...  no sweat!  :D
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Broken cruise control cable

Reply #39
Made a mistake.What I needed to say was the cruise control cable was broken.