Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160559 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #945
The lower A/C line disconnects right at the firewall. That big "ring" shaped thing is the connection. You need a special A/C line disconnect tool. Stick the tool into the ring to spread the spring inside it, then pull the line away. IIRC the spring is on the side facing the firewal, so you have to stick the tool in from that side.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #946
Thanks, I'll se if I can borrow one
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #947
And if you don't have the tool, buy the plastic assortment of sizes ones from the part store.  They seem to work better than the two sided metal ones.  Snap the plastic one on, put a bigger open end wrench next to it, and give the wrench a whack with a hammer.  Should pop right in.
1987 TC

Reply #948
Quote from: Cougar8775;257840
i also touched the drivers side 1/4.

Rather than people having to drive to NY to pay homage to Project Evolution, I think Jerry should travel to our houses and share his magic touch. He could make stops across the country and "lay his hand" on our cars. "I am daminc, I command you to cast out the evil that is rust and replace it with the wholesome goodness that is shiny paint!!"
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #949
Quote from: daminc;257997
Thanks, I'll se if I can borrow one

How did you disconnect your fuel lines? The plastic disconnect tool pack is cheap and handy to have.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #950
Quote from: Kitz Kat;258092
How did you disconnect your fuel lines? The plastic disconnect tool pack is cheap and handy to have.

the fuel lines had a locking tab on them. I just pulled it out to disconnect them.
where do i get this connector tool?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #951
Just about any parts store.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #952
And I hope you have better luck than I did... there are several differant styles out there.. Google
"A/C Line Quick Disconnect Tool"

I have tried
http://www.hermanscentral.com/product/otc-6538-4-pc-ac-line-quick-disconnect-tool-set-17532.cfm

and

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi04.html
3290 — Ford Air Conditioning and Fuel Line Spring Lock Coupling Tool

Here is a sweet Video showing the simple plastic ones
http://www.ehow.com/video_2327788_ford-explorer-mercury-mountaineer-disconnecting.html

Now when I had to do mine however... after 4 hours fighting All the above tools and the  thing still not coming apart... I ended up using This tool..
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=3627&BASE

worked great.. few secounds and it was off..
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #953
I went to Autozone and bought mine for $9.00.they have them just hanging on the shelf.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #954
I've used the last one on the ac lines. I got a small plastic tool. It looks like a flat circle with a small raised ridge in the center around the hole. It worked really well on both ac and fuel lines. I think it may have came with the first one in your post, jim.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #955
Thanks guys, I'll be getting one tomorrow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #956
Got me some of those plastic locking ring dis-connector thingys for thr ac lines......... worked great.
just clip it around the tubing.
push it into the connector.

and pull it apart.

and oh , a hole

so I decided to pull the bumper shocks off to.
What the heck. Why not. Looks like were into a full rebuild of the car anyway.
And that radiator support isn't looking very good either.

[SIZE="4"]Helloooooo.........[/SIZE]

Looks like I have to either replace, or rebuild this one.

Well I didn't do much today, but as always, I had fun.
I tried to find some spring compressors that would work on the front end, but didn't have any luck. I'm thinking about making one out of threaded rod and some steel plates to remove the front springs. I don't know it I have enough balls to lower the arm to get them out without something going through the center of the spring in case it launches. Mabe 25 years ago I would've, but not anymore.
That's all for today.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #957
It looks like it was starting to buckle. I forgot you still had the front to do. Almost there. Almost to 100 pages too
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #958
Quote from: DVP;258288
It looks like it was starting to buckle.

Rad support?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #959
Nice gloves,lol no wonder your hands look so pretty. I know you play the strings. Do you want my spring comp. send it back when your done with it.