Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160695 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #630
Dumb question. How are you removing the paint?

Reply #631
40 grit disk on a grinder @ about 1000 RPM. It won't heat the metal up and distort at that speed. Pretty much the easiest and cheapest way to remove the paint.
Are you from the autobody forum? Your name sounds familiar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #632
I don't know about easy, but aircraft stripper would be.
Then you can see whats tuffer the new floor or the cat.
I'm an A$$, I know!!.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #633
Quote from: daminc;245790
40 grit disk on a grinder @ about 1000 RPM. It won't heat the metal up and distort at that speed. Pretty much the easiest and cheapest way to remove the paint.
Are you from the autobody forum? Your name sounds familiar.

Yes, I am. I am using that site and this thread to try to learn enough to complete my own restoration. (And this thread for inspiration! - Thanks for that!)

Reply #634
LOL
OK, I'm just plain cheap. cost about $2 for disks and a total of mabe 2 hrs to strip the hood and coat it.

Here's the rest of it done.

Here's a little surprise I found on the hood.

So I got done with that and on to this.

Here I just wedged it on for a look to see if it was going to work.
It appears to be the same.

I'll bolt the trunk lid back on, and work on the corner and the trunk fix next. And probably the tank brackets, so I can paint the underneath.
Until next time..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #635
Quote from: freddk13;245844
Yes, I am. I am using that site and this thread to try to learn enough to complete my own restoration. (And this thread for inspiration! - Thanks for that!)

Glad I can help, You never did post pics of the car, did you?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #636
Quote from: daminc;245786
Just shipping.
I'll put it together with screws, and cut it in half for shipping.
I'll make it so you can put it together full length when you get it.

This way, it there's a slight diff. in frame, you can adjust it to fit yours.

How does that sound?

sounds amazing
Id owe you big time!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #637
Quote from: daboss351;245932
sounds amazing
Id owe you big time!

PM sent
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #638
Did some fiddling with this back corner today
don't ask about the pic, I don't know what happened there. LOL

found a better one. I put the lid back on to do some aligning to that piece.

Also had to put the lights back on to make sure everything was right.
I'll bet you didn't even know I had lights. lol

So everything  looks Ok there, I'll weld it up when I do the tank supports. that's next.

I also did some sealing and cleaning up in the trunk. I also removed almost all the seam sealer in here

Here's pics of the inside of the quarter panel repairs.

And I found this floating around in my tool cabinet. I should make it into a keychain.

That's all for today.

Look at me go!  :D  LOL

until next time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #639
It looks like the corner piece needs to come down just a tiny bit more,but,I've only got the pics to look at.It may be different in person.Still,nice work.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #640
It may have moved a little before the pic was taken.
I had the trunk open and closed a bunch of times.
I'll do better next time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #641
No worries.You're rockin' right along.Awesome.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #642
I want to know of the weight of this when its done.
Have you thought about puttin tracks on it yet?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #643
I don't think it's going to be any different in weight, other then the SFCs which is about 60lbs total.

Tracks?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #644
I think he meant Tank tracks, as in "It's built like a tank" ;)

I still say you shoulda installed T-Bird tail lights :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣