Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160687 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #600
Quote from: baxo;244758
Oh shiznit man that's not a good surprise :( ..  I would strip it.. see how bad it is and maybe find another door.. You've been doing such a good job with this, i doubt you'd feel right having so much filler on your car that you didn't put there.

No,,
leave it go.

As you move down on the lower part of the door , the rock guard layer will get more thick.

Its been on 4 doors that ive cut on and from the inside, they have never had signs of collision or rust.
I would surface sand and work from there.  Your just tearing down an already good layer of metal protection as it is.

Reply #601
Well I already found filler and traces of dark grey primer under the coating. there is no chip guard on the door and I would feel better knowing what's under all that. if nothing, It's going to get coated with high build primer again with the rest of the car anyway.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #602
you found nothing of a thicker nature on the lower part of the door below the molding?

Reply #603
Nope, no chip guard on the doors, and a bunch of filler around the handle, so far.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #604
It's not original paint. I took my DA to it, and what do you know, another layer of blue paint with red primer like the rest of the car.

So I stripped it off, because there would be way to much paint on the doors after I got done painting it again.

So after all that, there's only a couple little door dings. Not bad for 20 year old doors. I'll keep stripping the car as time allows.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #605
.. haha that turned out better under there than I expected. You lucked out!

Reply #606
LOL
I didn't see anything bad on the backside before I started.
I figured there were just a couple dings.

So now I'm looking at the door wondering if I want to keep the handles.
Anybody know of a good shaved handle kit at a fairly cheap price?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #607
How about door handles from a newer car?More flush mount.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #608
Like the newer Lincoln handles?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #609
Lincoln,Honda,whatever.Just something smooth and flush.I personally have always thought that smoothed doors (No handles at all) took away from the "details" of the car.Too much flat space with nothing there.My own opinion of course.My taste differs from others.....a lot !!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #610
I'm thinking I'll keep the handles. Mabe not the original type of handles, but there will be handles.

Took some more apart today, and packaged everything up so it won't get damaged.
Removed the rest of the pass. side glass and weather stripping.

and trunk lid and back window moulding

It's going to need a little work.
Looks like I may have to rebuild the rebuild.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #611
Jerry, I prefer to keep door handles myself, but with the Fox style handles these cars have, I've had no luck in keeping them from breaking all the time.  So you may be right in your thinking.  Keep up the good work!!!
1987 TC

Reply #612
This car (and project) should be featured in a magazine! Great work, man!

Reply #613
Thanks, but I don't know if I would go that far.
And I hope the end product will be worth it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #614
your trunk is in awsome shape,, where we all normally see rust you have none as in where the hinge is.