Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1161009 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #2490
Whether it's bending lines or bolting the engine together,it doesn't matter. Progress is progress.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2491
Oh well, no brake lines today. I worked, then had to cut the grass, and close the pool for the year. Tomorrows another day. I thought about working on it for 2 hrs while I was cutting the grass. Does that count for anything. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2492
almost done with the motor...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2493
Quote from: daminc;335995

this REALLY makes me miss my cougar

Reply #2494
Very Nice Jeddy !!! That will look great in the Cougar's engine bay.I'm proud for you. Be cautious about the black a/c bracket.They have been known to make ugly contact with the TC hood scoop.I left mine off with no problems what so ever. I've also seen people remove some of the metal from the top of the bracket. Hopefully you won't have any issues,but,just something to watch for. I am surprised you didn't go with a 3G alternator.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2495
Your keeping the air pump on? Looking good Jerry. Like Vinnie said watch that ac bracket it will hit especially with chucks's mounts,I shaved the top of mine down.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2496
Well, the bracket is on for now. I'll see what happens as I go.
What do I need a 3g for?
Kitz, the air pump goes nowhere
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2497
if your tie rod ends are really floppy or easy to move, adjust the inners now.

there are two types of inner knuckles in  coupld different way.

one type goes like this....

loosen dust cover clamp and slide dust cover outward
locate allen set screw on the outside of inner knuckle and loosen
remove knuckle from rack by using a cresent
look inside knuckle and there will be a small hole in the center
inspect hole and if its hex shaped, then find an allen to fit it.
Rotate allen wrench ccw a few turns
this means you are rotatinga disc in the inside of the knuckle
remove allen wrench and then inject grease up into the ball joint
through the allen hole.
rotate inner ajustment disc until your ball joint now is snuggly
attach assembly back on rack/pinion until snug only
tighten allen screw down to lock it in place.
get alignment after both sides done.

the other type goes like this.......
get dust cover slipped off and to the side
locate what appears to be an allen screw, discover its actually a hammered in roll pin.
get a screw to thread into the roll pin then slap hammer it out
remove inner tie rod from rack
look into the knuckle of the inner tie rod and discover a plastic disc in the center with a tiny hole.
if disc in the center is a plastic one then add grease inside knuckle
install inner tie rod and the grease will purge through the hole and out into the knuckle.
keep tightening the inner until the knuckle doesnt flop around too easy but is snug.
add a new roll pin to the outside of the nuckle locking it in place.

the only reason i posted this is because the rack is a pita if you dont repair or do some pm while its out.

also,
for the future, you can lob off part of the control arm pan head portion of the bolt so it can be easily taken out later.
see what i did in the pic below.

Reply #2498
all the front end parts were new the year I took the car off the road. I just replaced the lines on the rack last week, so everything should almost be new in the front now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2499
The 3G is a great alternator. The stock one barely can handle the load.With the 3G,I can have the heater on,all of the lights (and fog lights) stereo,defroster,and no dimming head lights at all.Plenty of juice when the car needs it.It's a 30 minute to an hour job from start to finish.One of those " I wish I'd done this years ago" kind of jobs.

Reply #2500
there's no way I'll ever have all that stuff running at once. I'll probably never drive it at night anyway anymore. the defroster will probably never be turned on again either. lol I have used the lights 2x on the vert so far, only because they have to turn them on to inspect it. lol... My power needs are simple nowadays.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2501
Not to mention the risk of fire with the 2G is eliminated, but it is not a necessary upgrade .:D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2502
Quote from: hypostang;336784
Not to mention the risk of fire with the 2G is eliminated, but it is not a necessary upgrade .:D

LOL, if I was worried about fire, I would have replaced my ignition switch years ago... It's still all original.. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2503
Quote from: daminc;336788
lol, if i was worried about fire, i would have replaced my ignition switch years ago... It's still all original.. :d

doh !!!!!
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2504
Quote from: daminc;336777
there's no way I'll ever have all that stuff running at once. I'll probably never drive it at night anyway anymore. the defroster will probably never be turned on again either. lol I have used the lights 2x on the vert so far, only because they have to turn them on to inspect it. lol... My power needs are simple nowadays.

Well,then you're good.LOL. I think I still have my new 2G in the garage somewhere from when I did my 3G upgrade.