Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160525 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #105
I know you probably explained it, but what is that red stuff you're applying on everything after you're finished? What are the benefits of using it?

Reply #106
you have inspired me, so i went and bought 48 dollars worth of sand paper and fiberglass and got to work
dont have a welder, or any cutting tools so I went for next best
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #107
The red stuff is encapsulator, I use it to prime/seal the new metal and seal in any rust on the old metal from the air.
regular primer won't seal out the air, and it could rust again in the older parts of the car.
the first coat I use is red, then I seam seal everything, then I use a black encapsulator for the finish coat to ensure that I cover over everything again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #108
Quote from: daboss351;213493
you have inspired me, so i went and bought 48 dollars worth of sand paper and fiberglass and got to work
dont have a welder, or any cutting tools so I went for next best

You go dude!
Don't forget the pics
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #109
Quote from: baxo;213212
That's amazing stuff. Makes me wanna go check it out in person hah.

X2 man,,  though maybe I shouldn't might make me change my mind about srapping the '85....:hick:

Reply #110
Well RJ your 85 is in no worse condition then this so if he can do it, so can you, and then Niagara region FTW!

Reply #111
If you really want to keep it, and you can weld, It's the cheapest but longer way to go. You can also go through the whole car piece by piece and change anything also
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #112
Everyone has to be bored with this thread by now. LOL
Well you better pay attention, because there will be a quiz at the end.

The last small piece to repair on the drivers side
yes the car rusted underneath since the last time I worked under there.

Here's everything all ground down and ready to treat the rust

I treated everything with PickelX wiped it down, let it dry, and started to do the nasty

Yes I took the rocker off to seal inside.

And of course everything will be seam sealed before the next coat.

I took some other pics of my car after cleaning up

Here are some before pics of the floor

And todays good news is:
I'll have time to work on my car this weekend.
the better news is:
My Monday job cancelled, and I'll have all week to work on my car. including next weekend.

Thats all for today my friends.
Tomorrow's another day
3 hrs today
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #113
Good job man but OMG i have never seen so much rot on one vehicle.
Dam,i sped my 88 for less.

Reply #114
When I was young, I would make models that had pieces missing and use extra parts from others.

This is just a larger scale. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #115
Yes, Jerry and those kits also came with a guide book that had (MAN'S) most feared words on there too.  "SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED"  :evilgrin:

Reply #116
It also keeps me off the streets.
And my wife knows where I am
LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #117
here's today's little project
I've got the frame connector in position to mark the floor to cut

Here's the frame going through the floor that I just repaired

Here's a shot of the frame and Chucks connector.
It still needs to go up into the floor a little more

heres another shot

here's a pic of the frame with Chucks connector.
saved me a bunch of time, Thanks Chuck

I only had 2 hrs to work today. I drove with my wife to take another dog to their forever home this morning

I'll finish up this side tomorrow and start working on the jacking rails and cross-braces.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #118
I just cant believe the passion,patience and skill you have. I never in my life ,could do what you have done here..............:bowdown:
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #119
man...  My '85 cougar didnt need half that work, and I sped it.  I even replaced a front Pass. frame rail, font rad support, welded up all the swiss cheese in the engine bay, and other areas that needed patches I made up and welded up.  Then one day I just said "screw it, it will never be worth what I am putting in it." and bought my '88 XR-7..  now the '85 is crushed and getting recycled.....