Skip to main content
Topic: Watcha think...... (Read 2537 times) previous topic - next topic

Watcha think......

..I listed some mach one wheels on craigslist, and I got a reply about the condition of the wheels. I replied back , and got this email today...

Hello Herb  ,
        Thanks for your mail..am okay with the price..i'm not in the state at the moment,so i will be making the payment to you  through money order or cashier check.i have a shipper that will be coming for the pick up as soon as you get your payment..so i will like you to get back to me with your full Names,Adderss,Phone number.so i can issue out the payment to your location Asap.
    Regards

....scam or not??. (would really like to sell these wheels)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Watcha think......

Reply #1
It could be, but I doubt it.  He really doesn't need your phone number to figure out when to pick it up... But if you get a MO or a cashier's check and you get the cash in hand from the bank, I don't see a problem.  Make sure you have the cash before the shipper comes.

Watcha think......

Reply #2
I would tell him to send you a m.o. including the shipping cost. You ship the wheels with who you choose.
Just so you don't get stuck with his shipper charging you.

Watcha think......

Reply #3
I've always believed in the old fashion way cause just like everybody else in business on Internet you pay first and then get your product  shipped right too you. ;)

Watcha think......

Reply #4
sounda like what happened when i was trying to sell the chevelle.... real formal about it, sent more money than asked, then wanted the rest for a wire transfer

SCAM

Watcha think......

Reply #5
Scam.....
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Watcha think......

Reply #6
Smells like a scam but maybe not.... The problem with a check is that if they find it's a fake they charge your account for the funds so even if you have cash in hand you can still get burned a month later. If he's legit he shouldn't have a problem sending a US Postal Service money order for the exact amount. Using the mail to commit fraud is a pretty serious offense and there's a good sized investigative group there to find him if he's a scammer. The PO also can't debit your account later on if they find the MO was counterfeit.

I can see a scenario where it isn't a scam though, I check craiglist in Atlanta all the time even though it's 6 hours from home and in another state. Fact is sometimes what I want at the price I want to pay is easier found there than where I live. Even after transport and time to go get it I've gotten things cheaper than I can find them locally. I could see myself asking a friend that lives there to go pick up an item and ship it to me too. I'd rather wire my friend the cash though and have him pay when he picked the item up...

I'd think the key would be if he sends exact payment or "extra" funds.... I'd "forget" to send my phone number too, if he presses the issue over that my scam meter would peg.

Watcha think......

Reply #7
Scam, protect yourself!
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Watcha think......

Reply #8
I vote for scam.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Watcha think......

Reply #9
Quote from: doodaa;192589
Smells like a scam but maybe not.... The problem with a check is that if they find it's a fake they charge your account for the funds so even if you have cash in hand you can still get burned a month later. If he's legit he shouldn't have a problem sending a US Postal Service money order for the exact amount. Using the mail to commit fraud is a pretty serious offense and there's a good sized investigative group there to find him if he's a scammer.

I'm not for sure this one is a scam though, I check craiglist in Atlanta all the time even though it's 6 hours from home and in another state. Fact is sometimes what I want at the price I want to pay is easier found there than where I live. I could see myself asking a friend that lives there to go pick up an item too. I'd rather wire my friend the cash though and have him pay when he picked the item up...

+1

I'd ask for a USPS Money Order. Take it to the USPS to make sure it's legit before sending the wheels out.

I've bought things in AL and had my buddy pick them up. While not uncommon, it isn't common either.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Watcha think......

Reply #10
its a scam on craigslist ive been dealing with recently
they write to you a few emails about what your selling
make you feel like they are "genuinely" interested
then they cant pick up the said item because they are out of state/overseas at the moment so they send you a cashiers check or money order. of course they happen to have a friend near by who can pick the items up but cannot pay in cash in hand or whatever, how odd :beatyoass:
 but inorder to do so they need your
name
address
phone number(which they couldve asked for in the first place if it werent a scam)
social security #, mothers maiden name, wipe hand, ect.

its bull, dont fall into it:flame:
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Watcha think......

Reply #11
The scan version of this sends you a check, not a MO or CC.  The check clears, then bounces later.  Money orders and Cashier's Checks can't bounce once they clear, can they.

He also didn't ask for a refund of his overpayment.  I don't see the scam version of it.

Ask for a copy of his Driver's liscence with the MO or Check.

Watcha think......

Reply #12
Quote from: cougarman;192573
..I listed some mach one wheels on craigslist, and I got a reply about the condition of the wheels. I replied back , and got this email today...

Hello Herb  ,
        Thanks for your mail..am okay with the price..i'm not in the state at the moment,so i will be making the payment to you  through money order or cashier check.i have a shipper that will be coming for the pick up as soon as you get your payment..so i will like you to get back to me with your full Names,Adderss,Phone number.so i can issue out the payment to your location Asap.
    Regards

....scam or not??. (would really like to sell these wheels)

That's a scam.  There are fake cashier checks and money orders out there too.  It can take the bank a month to find out they're fake, then the bank turns back to you for a refund because you gave them a fake check.  Look at the diction, spelling, and punctuation too.
"so I will like you to get back to me..."
"issue out the payment to your location..."  who the hell says that?
"I have a shipper..."  ha, ha.  Who the hell says that unless you are fat rich and have a personal shipper for YOUR CAR.  Whatever dude.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Watcha think......

Reply #13
I agree - it's a scam. Accept only cash. Remember, you're dealing with strangers who don't know you from a hole in the ground and therefore don't care about scamming you. He wants you to use his shipper so you won't know where the shipment is going.

Accept that money order and you'll be out a set of wheels AND the money.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Watcha think......

Reply #14
Quote from: cougarman;192573
...i'm not in the state at the moment,

"Please contact me when you are back in the state so we can arrange for pickup..."
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.