Skip to main content
Topic: The Engine Calibration... (Read 1672 times) previous topic - next topic

The Engine Calibration...

Somethings been negging at me since I replaced the TFI-IV Ignition Module in 'Salt'.

What is the potential hazord in going to Ford to buy a TFI-IV Ignition Module (where they ask you for your VIN and Engine Calibration i.e. 08-22F-R11) vs going to NAPA to buy that module (but they don't ask for the VIN or calibration, just the year, make & model of the car)?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock

Reply #1
the difference is, your car runs fine no matter where the TFI module comes from, but you pay 4 times the price at Ford.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #2
Thank-you for helping me to put my mind at ease; I tend to believe that you are correct.

I am still curious though; what is the significance of that calibration number and why is it important on some levels, but not on others?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
Although the one from Advance/Autozone may leave you stranded in a year.

Reply #4
lol... why?

It is something I would like to learn about.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
From perusing forums I've found anecdotal evidence that non-Motorcraft TFIs are less reliable than the OEM variety.

Reply #6
All parts are NOT created equal....with that being said, you get what ya pay for.

The Ford piece maybe 3 times more expensive than elsewhere...
But it will probably last longer.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #7
You guys are not exactly putting my mind at ease... I did get the new module for dirt cheap and it did make me wonder... but is this becuase of that engine calibration?

Should I go through the hassel and more money to buy the Ford TFI-IV Ignition Module (Motorcraft) or just stick with the NAPA (some aftermarket special)?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
got mine from napa  back in '03.  only put about 300 miles a year on it. so it doesn't get a lot of abuse
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
But what of the engine calibration... what significance is that with the TFI?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
got mine from napa back in '03. only put about 300 miles a year on it. so it doesn't get a lot of abuse

I take that back. It was back in 98 that i replaced it.
the computer was in 03
there's a lot of miles on the tfi (couple few 1000) still never had a problem. only trying to get the old one off. who knew you needed a special tool. lol

still never heard of the calibration
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
Quote from: daminc;191926
I take that back. It was back in 98...still never heard of the calibration

The engine calibration number is located (usually) on the driver's side door.  It's usually in the form (on Cougar X and Pepper) of 08-22F-R11.  It's on the door of all my EFI or SEFI cars!  As ANYONE ever heard of this?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
I have calibration stickers on both my '88 XR-7 and my '88 Sport and never really understood why...my '88 Base 5.0 didn't have it.  Aftermarket electrical parts usually don't last as long as OEM's...this much is true...but my cougar has a cheap aftermarket TFI module on it that looks like it 5yrs old...ignition system works fine in that.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #13
My guess is the engine calibration concerns the actual bin file (or however you want to describe it) that is loaded into the ECU.

This has no bearing  on your TFI module. TFI is TFI is TFI. It doesn't care how many cylinders your engine has, if it is SD/MAF, or if it is SO/HO or if it came from Ford or NAPA.

Reply #14
Okay, this makes sense.  I like JeremyB's 'BIN' theory.  Does anyone know, if that is indeed the case, what components on the EEC do rely on that Calibration?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]