Skip to main content
Topic: those of you who own turbocoupes... (Read 3479 times) previous topic - next topic

those of you who own turbocoupes...

how is it driving them in the snow?  this will be my first real winter with one (i grew up in florida).
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #1
If you don't have decent tires....forget it.

I can get by with decent all season tires, but don't try and get anywhere fast.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #2
As long as the traction-lok works you should be fine.

Then again if you've never driven rwd in the snow.........have fun :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Quote from: Chuck W;191423
If you don't have decent tires....forget it.

I can get by with decent all season tires, but don't try and get anywhere fast.

it's got new tires on it, but i was actually thinking of getting a set of snow tires for it.

it's got to be better then the ranger.  i drove that my first winter here and that thing is a joke in the snow!
06 pontiac g6 gt

Reply #4
Hopefully it is a 5spd then you can just take off in 2nd that will help. I know once down here we got 12" of snow and I got around in myTC just fine. It is all in how you drive and how many morons are out with you.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #5
Quote from: ipsd;191432
Hopefully it is a 5spd then you can just take off in 2nd that will help. I know once down here we got 12" of snow and I got around in myTC just fine. It is all in how you drive and how many morons are out with you.

yessir, she's a 5-speed.
06 pontiac g6 gt

Reply #6
Get some snows,it will help ya tons.

Reply #7
Snow tires FTW!!! With a set of snows and two cylinder heads in the trunk I never lost traction under normal driving habits.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #8
mine is only bad up hill but that was because of ice and my BF goodrich traction t/a are ok i didnt have to much of a problem though

Reply #9
I did it with py tires for two winters.  Takes some getting used to.  I'm actually surprised how well my ranger is doing so far.

Reply #10
Definitely get some good snow tires, preferably narrower than the stock 225's - maybe some 205/70R15's on a set of 10-holes.

A half worn snow tire is better than a brand new all-season...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
I actually did very well, on old dry rotten tires.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #12
Get a 4WD Ranger and put the Bird in the Garage....Thats what I did
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

Reply #13
It's funny I drove my RWD Cougar all over with no probs in the winter and what do I do the first snow with my FWD Eclipse... hit a curb!
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #14
I have a TC now... w00t.  Been one wheel peeling it for many of years.  The traclok does make a difference.  Still have a tow strap in the trunk incase something bad happens.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics