Skip to main content
Topic: Windows Vista....hmmmm. (Read 1580 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Well, I went and installed Vista on my comp...
This is so NOT what I expected!

lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #1
now it all makes sense
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #2
i dont like vista, thank god my laptop is an old piece of :hick:
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #3
I hear a lot of grumbling about VISTA since it came out. My son got it on his new computer and is going back to XP.
It kinda reminds me of the first release of windows 95. It had good intentions but pissed everyone off. and that was before the internet and wide spread viruses.
myself, I owned a computer and electronic repair store for 10 years until Xp came out. and then the viruses and popups kept coming. Thats when i said enough. closed up shop and bought a mac for myself.
After hearing about all the security steps just to use VISTA. I don't think its worth the upgrade. I still use 2000 on my tivo machine and as long as i don't surf or run anything except my tivo, i never have to reboot. unless there's an update.
I'll never buy a pc again. Since OSX came out for mac, I'll pay the extra $ for the computer. I haven't seen a popup or virus or malware in 3 1/2 years. the computer i use daily, has been rebooted about 25 times. only because its a laptop and i shut it down when it leaves the house.
I don't know how you guys do it. I tried to use my wife's computer a while back and wanted to throw it out the window. and i have tons of patience.
So I'll pray for everyone out there that has to use VISTA. your going to need all the help you can get.

sorry, that was my rant for the month. now back to your regularly scheduled program. (pfew)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #4
I think about it like this. I bought a copy of XP pro and they Gave me a copy of VISA business. I'm like WTF! If Vista is SO GOOD why are you giving me the $300 version when I bought a $99 Copy of XP. I know because it is . Such  the Vista hasn't even left its nifty little case that is came in the mail to me in. I keep it with the rest of the Useless  for computers that I have.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #5
I am using it now on my laptop. Boy, did I ever have problems with it for the first couple of months. A few patches have fixed most of the problems. Biggest crash and burn problem now is IE - crashes once a day.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #6
Biggest crash and burn problem now is IE - crashes once a day.
how is firefox on Vista
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #7
Quote from: daminc;190259
how is firefox on Vista

Seems OK - I haven't been using it as much due to some compatibility issues with some of my regular sites.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #8
I honestly think they design IE to crash. Its to tied in to the entire OS
They should make it stand alone like the first ver. that never crashed until win98 SR2 and there wonderful active desktop.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #9
At work we've been ordering computers for about the last year with the "downgrade" to XP. Supposedly Micro$oft is going to make XP EOL next March. Sooner or later they're going to push out Vista to everyone with no backtracking to XP. What sucks the most is how much of a resource hog it is, even with a brand new computer running fairly heavy hardware. Now my co-worker is running Vista on his laptop and seems to like it. He's even remote troubleshooting with it. So far he's been the exception to the rule, though. We're recommending that none of our clients use Vista unless it's at home.

I could live with something like Vista. What is an absolute travesty is the new Office suite. Wow. Talk about having to relearn everything! I don't see how M$ thinks all offices will take the time out of their lives to relearn that stuff, especially when all older versions of Office are already learned, are productive, and actually work well.

Don't you think that the richest and most popular software company in the world should have solved basic problems like this by now? I swear, their only goal now is to sow confusion amongst the masses.

I'm in almost the same boat with the Macs, though. My current OS (10.4) is now one behind the new one, and things are still working well and are stable. There have been quite a few bugs with 10.5. I don't see a reason to upgrade yet. But I do need the tax write-off before the end of the year so I'll probably get 10.5 soon.

I guess it's all in what you're comfy with.

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #10
Now my co-worker is running Vista on his laptop and seems to like it. He's even remote troubleshooting with it. So far he's been the exception to the rule, though.

I've been running Vista for 8 months now..... No viruses yet....

Longest time without a virus on XP w/service pack 2....67 days.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #11
I guess Vista is like a 3.8 head gasket. some blow some don't.

I could never use a pc for sound studio work though. I would be rebooting in the middle of a session
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #12
I'm running XP SP2 and have gone years without a virus or malware. I think the last time I had a virus was back in 1999 or so, when I lost a bunch of wiring diagrams I'd made up to upload on my website. The virus came from a warez site, so it was kinda self-inflicted. I've never had a spyware or malware infestation on my own computer (friends' and familys' computers are a different story).

I use Firefox so ActiveX isn't an issue (and as an added bonus, neither are advertisp00gets). I don't even bother running anti spyware/malware software because I simply don't get spyware or malware. I do run antivirus because viruses can "invite themselves in" so to speak, but as for spyware/malware, any "infections" you see are the user's fault, pure and simple. Spyware, no matter how evil and nasty, needs you to click on that "OK" box before it can install. They usually disguise the "OK" box as a warning to trick people into allowing them in.

Actually, let me modify what I've said above - I have had three spyware infestations. All three were brand new, out of the box computers (two Dells and a Gateway) that were so full of factory loaded ware I immediately formatted the hard drives and did fresh Windows installs.

All that being said I think my next laptop will be a Mac. The only thing that's ever glued me to PC was Mitchell OnDemand, a very important program for me, but now that you can run Windows on a Mac I could switch OS's to look something up when needed.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #13
Macs are good like that. I've got an powerbook g4 and i can still run windows software. but windows runs as a program on mine. (it still works for what windows programs i need)
surfing is the best though.
Its like driving an armored tank through the internet. nothing can stop you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Windows Vista....hmmmm.

Reply #14
Quote from: EricCoolCats;190272

I could live with something like Vista. What is an absolute travesty is the new Office suite. Wow. Talk about having to relearn everything! I don't see how M$ thinks all offices will take the time out of their lives to relearn that stuff, especially when all older versions of Office are already learned, are productive, and actually work well.

My mom bought a new laptop with vista about 7 months ago. Runs great and she has no problems with it. I agree on the office thing 100%. I was trying to type a paper in Word on it and was thinking "why the fvck did they change this so much"? The old office was the same for years and worked great. Boo Microsoft.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.