Skip to main content
Topic: My 3.8 V6 is powerful as hell (Read 3664 times) previous topic - next topic

My 3.8 V6 is powerful as hell

Reply #15
Quote from: ipsd;190158
Just cause you can smoke the tires doesn't mean you have power.

Ummm, I thought it was torque that spun tires?
Who here has or used to have that little saying in their sig:
"Horse power sells car, torque moves them."?

And mine would spin the tires whenever I matted the gas pedal, wet, dry, whatever. Until I put those BFG 215/60's on the back on the TC wheels...then it didn't spin near as easy on dry, not that I tried a lot.
I thought the 3.8 in my white car was a hell of a lot stronger
than the one in the maroon Tbird. (my first one)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #16
nothing is equal in the world of motors
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #17
3.8L's made good torque and got decent fuel economy, but weren't meant for much more than getting groceries.  That being said, mine would outrun my buddy's '86 Cutlass with a 305 TBI, but that's not saying much :)
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #18
Quote from: 88BlueBird;190183
3.8L's made good torque and got decent fuel economy,

They did? :wtf: Why didn't anyone tell my EFI that?

That being said, mine would outrun my buddy's '86 Cutlass with a 305 TBI, but that's not saying much :)

No, not really. The 305's only merits were the cost of parts and reliability.

Reply #19
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;190170
Ummm, I thought it was torque that spun tires?
Who here has or used to have that little saying in their sig:
"Horse power sells car, torque moves them."?

QUOTE]

I said that !!! hehehe.....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #20
Quote from: grutinator;190138
dumpsters are quicker then you think...

Ok Ok, Fully loaded....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #21
my 3.8L had balls.... hehe

3.8L burnout
Burnout2

not....

Actually for a 3.8L that car was strong, I was happy with it, til a HG started to go....

Reply #22
Quote from: MexCougar;190193
Ok Ok, Fully loaded....

Dumpsters with power windows and a sunroof! ;):D
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #23
Yes, these are heavier than standard versions ;) ....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #24
My first car was an '86 GS with the CFI 3.8 V6.
With all of the customization I did to that car, I would have people try to race me every weekend.
With the glasspack exhaust, it sounded like a 5.0 at idle. As soon as I honked on it, it sounded like some ragged-out Ranger or something.
Nothing ever stopped me from hanging the tail end out around turns, though.
I made the car look fast.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #25
Well tonight I had a 2000 or 2001 Montecarlo SS try to merge past me from a light. The Monte won, even though I had my foot to the floor:hick: . Those things have a 3.8 that makes 200 hp (0-60 in 7.3 seconds according to Motor Trend)..... I've run 'em with the 88 and wooped 'em bad :evilgrin: .................not with the 95 though :shakehead
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #26
My wife's 03 monte's got some gusto. but they don't seem to handle as good as you would think. comfort level is very low also. everything seems to be in the way when i drive it. and the seats are very uncomfortable. I'll keep my cougar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #27
Quote from: EricCoolCats
And yes, already changed the heads and head gaskets. Good for another 25 miles. Maybe.

FIXED!
:D

My first Cougar was an '87 3.8.  Slapped duals on it with custom 2 1/4" pipes, bumped the timing, flipped the airlid, even bought a chip for it (yes, they used to make them).  The heads were milled too when my stepfather had it before me so an ever so slight boost in compression (warantee HG replacement).

Decent Michelins that handled well, 3.27's, and limited slip.  It was faster than most four cylinders.  Even in the late '90's.  In '97 I absolutely wasted a brand new Saturn 2 door with the twin cam motor.  It was about a month before I got rid of it.

I've yet to see non-restored Fox Cougarbird in as good condition as that one was the day I drove it last.  Maybe Carl's.  It was THAT clean.  Looking back I should have just swapped the motor out.  My black car was in good shape when I got it (and is MUCH better today), but the red car.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #28
I could waste my girlfriends Kia Rio with the 95 but that's not hard to do in a 15 year old Civic:hick: .

I think the 3.8 probably does a better job propelling the Fox cars than the MN-12s. They foxes are much lighter. My fully loaded (it's only missing the sunroof) 88 LX 5.0 weighs as much as my 95, and the 95 is not loaded...........
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #29
When I was in the market for an MN12, I told myself that I would never buy one with a 3.8 under the hood. Although, I almost bought one that had a supercharged 3.8 and a third pedal, but somebody got to it just before I showed up with the money.

In any event, I found my '96 4.6 and I've been very, very happy with it for the past 35,000 miles.
It's a fantastic car.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]