Skip to main content
Topic: Im a new member , i just bought a ...... (Read 3469 times) previous topic - next topic

Im a new member , i just bought a ......

Hey guys, I'm a new member ,i just bought a T-bird 1986 232 v6 ......everything on it is stock! shocks blown , needs new brake pads and rotors....ummmm....thts about it i guess! :)

Blackwidow

Re: Im a new member , i just bought a ......

Reply #1
too bad, there isnt a whole lot of mods that you can do to a v-6 for cheap. Its easy to swap in a 5.0 if you would like it to go fast. But I would keep it pretty much stock, with a few mods.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
yah, i like the v6 better, its more fuel efficient :) ,i just plan to change the coil to msd tfi coil ,paint job , k&n airfilter, sparkplug wires and sparkplugs, ummmm oh and rims....!
what do u think , any advice on more stuff to do to it?

Reply #3
Welcome to the board!  If you are just looking for tech info or even modding/swapping engines, this is the place to be.  Be sure to check out the FAQ's and the links page, this is a great site to begin your work with!
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Reply #4
thanks birdman :)

Reply #5
Quote from: blackwidow
yah, i like the v6 better, its more fuel efficient

According to http://www.fueleconomy.gov , the V6 is only 1 MPG more efficient in city driving than the V8. They have identical highway ratings.

2.3T/5spd. manual: 20 city, 26 highway
2.3T/3spd. auto:    18 city, 22 highway
3.8NA/3spd. auto:  19 city, 23 highway
3.8NA/4spd. auto:  19 city, 26 highway
5.0NA/4spd. auto:  18 city, 26 highway

Moral of the story: Not much point in keeping the V6 based solely on fuel efficiency. But if you like the V6 for some reason, or just don't want to be bothered with putting in another engine, there's nothing wrong with keeping it.

Reply #6
hehe, didnt know that, i thought it was better than that.....! i dont wanna swap, coz it has just been rebuilt.....its got 166k miles on it, it was rebuilt at 154k miles, so thats 12000 miles on engine and around 6000 miles on transmission, although the transmission doesnt feel too good, it jerks when shifting , its an auto 3 spd.....is that normal?

Reply #7
Awesome purchase! I had an '86 3.8 and it was a great car.
It looks like you're good on the drivetrain, but check your TV cable. It sounds as if  it may need to be adjusted after the rebuild, and it will fry the transmission if you drive it like that. You will find it on the throttle body.
(somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

Welcome to the board!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Welcome

Reply #9
I bet my autozone warrenty file has everything you need for your bird....  but anyway good luck at getting her running.  Any plans you have for your new ride?
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #10
Im sorry but i havent got a clue on what youre saying about the autozone warranty file? could you elaborate please :) .............regarding mods.....just splitfire wires , msd tfi coil , new paint job i guess, new wheels and tires.......oh and the common k&n air filter.....any suggestions?

Reply #11
btw thanks for the advice COUGARCRAGAR.....who do i have to go to to get it adjusted?

Reply #12
I've only had my t-bird like 3 months.  I've already got a lifetime warrenty for the whole dang car.  It's not even close to being finished and i've replaced everything you've had to imagine on this car.... waterpump, alternator, starters and many of these things twice.  I've already changed my alternator alot, and it's got new shocks and everything all the way around... tie rod ends, rack & pinion,  (all which are under warrenty, cause i bought them... and if i need a new one i'll have it 7 days a week)... aka whatever it takes to get my bird running.  Parts parts! PARTS! PARTS!

i'm crazy  :screwy:

Not to mention i got brake pads with the lifetime warrenty!  *cough*

sickness
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #13
lol! ....... oh, ok i get it!

Reply #14
blackwidow:

Look here for a better description:
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/troubleshooting/shift.html

I suggest you locate the cable first to see that it is hooked up. See if its grommet is still intact. If everything checks out, you may just have to adjust it.
You said the transmission was rebuilt, so I'm assuming they forgot to adjust the cable or maybe didn't attach it.
Let us know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]