Skip to main content
Topic: no start (Read 5418 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: no start

Reply #15
Quote from: mjbtbrd
why not go buy a spark tester for 10 bucks and see where you stand......you may have good spark  and need a fuel system repair...not an ignition one

you already own one........
its built into your car
remove any plug wire from the plug only
install a spark plug in the end (i would gap it pretty wide for visual purposes)
use string or something non coductive to hold the spark plug up in the air.
turn key forward
crank engine by turning key (or short out the solenoid posts *quickly*)
look for spark
its gotta be blue, not yellow or orange., blue.
repeat for each plug
if its weak everywhere, relocate a plug wire to the coil post
tie up the plug on the end of the same wire
crank engine and look for spark.
if the intensity changes, the problems in the dizzy
if its the same,, your coil is probably bad.

its funny ive never had a coil on these cars go bad,
is this the same for anyone else?

Reply #16
You will have to ground the threads part of the plug.

Reply #17
yes...you can make a spark tester. Sometimes having the tool is good only 'cuz you'll need it again someday.

anyway you could use a test light to check the primary ignition ....you should have a steady bright light on the coil +  with the key in start or run and the light should blink when put on the coil - and you are cranking.  If not you have a primary ignition problem.  Being you have tried two tfi modules and two distributors that would leave as most likely  suspects wiring or connectors.  If the  light does as described and you have no spark you have a secondary ignition issue.  coil wires cap rotor plugs etc

Reply #18
Quote from: softtouch
You will have to ground the threads part of the plug.

nope,, try it. 
but,,
it is best to do so for arc / spark reasons.  thats why i mention pulling it up in mid air so that does not happen.

Reply #19
I learned the hard way a couple of years ago, you do need a string or something to hold it up.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #20
Well I did a compression check, and my car only hit 110 low and 125 high. I am starting to think that this car may be on its origional 200,000 mile engine.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #21
thats bout right for what i see happening in your avitar :flip:

actually thats about average for most untouched high mileage engines.
if you wanna bring those numbers up, you gotta spend some cash and custom file each compression ring.

Reply #22
Well sorry to bring up an old thread. I have been playing with my car alot. I got some e7s, ho intake, ho throttle body and some headers for it. I want to put these parts on soon. But first I want to get it to run how it is. What can cause no spark? right now I am thinking wireing. I have tested and changed out the following.
- Coil
- Distributor
- Spark plugs
- Wires
- Ignition switch.
- Tfi
    Pulling out the spout connector dosent do anything. The car will back fire after a couple of cranks. It will not start. It has only sputtered a couple of times.  It seems to get very little or no spark. The spark is not strong when it does, and it is not steady. It will spark a couple of times, and then stop all together. Basically what I am asking, is should I be looking at fuseable links? If so which ones. I am more or less stuck here. Any help would be great.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #23
Quote from: Haystack
The car will back fire after a couple of cranks. It will not start. It has only sputtered a couple of times.  It seems to get very little or no spark. The spark is not strong when it does, and it is not steady. It will spark a couple of times, and then stop all together. Basically what I am asking, is should I be looking at fuseable links? If so which ones. I am more or less stuck here. Any help would be great.

Make sure the distributor isn't 180* out of time.... That usually causes the back firing/no start problem...

Reply #24
checked for tdc using the harmonic balancer or whatever on the crank. Pointed the distributor to number one. I really think that this is spark now. If I dont get any good answers, then I am just gonna tow it to a shop a couple of blocks away. If it is wireing, I really dont want to deal with it. Theres prolly 200 something wires there.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #25
Balancer marks are not always good for setting the distibutor. Take #1 plug out, put thumb over hole and bump the motor over until you hear a whoosh sound, then set the distributor on #1. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #26
thanks for your input guys, it is appreciated. I am going to try those things. If they dont help I will get it done for me. Then I can do my "mid-HO conversion". Like I said I have the throttle body intake and heads so yeah. My dad has a parts washer at his work. He is gonna bride the guys at the tool crib with doughnuts to wash my heads and the throttle body. Its a $60,000 parts washer so hopefully it can do the job :D .
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #28

That has a lot of good info, but I didn't see anything about possibly having the engine out of time...

I had the out of time problem just a few days ago(The Blue Bird stripped a distributor gear).. Brought it up on TDC and dropped the dist in pointed to #1, cranked it and SWOOSH, POOF, BANG... %@!#*&, its 180* out... Pulled the dist again, rotated it 180* and dropped it back in... It fired right up...

Reply #29
Still in the battle Haystack ?

When my car died for a while, i forgot the sound of the engine. When the mechanic fixed it, i smile. Its like hear and old friend...

Good luck!!!!!

1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150