Skip to main content
Topic: online place to buy 5.0HO? (Read 2256 times) previous topic - next topic

online place to buy 5.0HO?

Reply #15
We concede to your greatness oh wise one! :bowdown:
It's always fun until someone loses an eye. then it's fun ya can't see.

-James Hetfield back when metallica was still making good music.

5.0-h/o

Reply #16
I bought mt 88 H/O on ebay for $650.00 + shipping.  It had 37000 original miles and runs great. I kept the speed density and up- graded to a 65 mm TB and headers. You will need to get the matching computer and wiring harness. Keep checking ebay.

Reply #17
I bought my H/O on ebay for $650. It had 37000 orig miles and runs great. Also, you will have to get the matching computer. Keep checking ebay.

Reply #18
quick question. was there ever a 4.6 sohc HO?
It's always fun until someone loses an eye. then it's fun ya can't see.

-James Hetfield back when metallica was still making good music.

Reply #19
no...there are the 4.6 with 2 cams, the 4 cam Cobra version, and now the 3 valve versions, but none were HO....that died along with the 5.0
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #20
Quote from: billboehm;191084
quick question. was there ever a 4.6 sohc HO?

There's a PI (Performance Improvement/Power Improved... whatever) version. It's kinda an HO... AFAIK it has intake and heads... but don't quote me on that. I'm not all that into the SOHC version. Dual cams FTW!!! :)

I decided to consult the wiki before posting. Looks like it got heads, cam and intake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang#1999.E2.80.932004

A redesigned model came in 1999 where many of the soft lines of the previous model were gone, but the car still rode on the SN-95 platform. The Mustang GT's power increased to 260 hp (194 kW) at 5250 rpm and 302 ft·lbf (409 N•m) of torque at 4000 rpm via the new "Power Improved" (PI) heads, cams, and intake manifold. The new 16-valve SOHC 4.6 L engine exhibited characteristics associated with a performance engine when compared to the performance behavior of earlier 4.6 L engines. Mustangs now featured a returnless type fuel system utilizing a PCM-guided fuel rail pressure sensor to regulate pressure.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #21
That was basically because Ford's advertised horsepower amount was wrong.
There was a recall, and these were the pieces that were put on.
Hence the term "PI"...I guess in a way, it could be said they were a "higher output"..but were not officially named as such.

"The V8 remained untouched, while the Cobra claimed 320 hp (239 kW). Ford responded to complaints by issuing a recall on the 1999 model Cobras, which were given computer, intake, and exhaust improvements, to match the original claim of 320 hp.
As a result, Cobra production was halted in 2000 (except the limited Cobra R) while the company was developing new parts for the missing power. The changes were incorporated into the 2001 Cobra, which could achieve 1/4 mile times in the mid-13 second range."

"As a "modular" family, the heads on the earlier 4.6 L SOHC motors can be exchanged with "Power Improved" heads as offered via the Ford Parts Catalog. Due to a different combustion chamber and pistons, the compression increased to over 10:1 and subsequently required premium fuel to inhibit detonation (knocking)."

This is from that same wiki link
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)