Skip to main content
Topic: Toyota Quality Down, Mercury Lives (Read 2321 times) previous topic - next topic

Toyota Quality Down, Mercury Lives

Reply #15
At work today I was admiring the Milan.  We have a black one with big wheels.. Very nice looking car..
One 88

Reply #16
How's it drive compared to the Montego/Sable? Does it have AWD too?

We have a Fusion here in town in a bright red metallic color with a tasteful body kit and BBS style wheels on it, it looks SHARP. Wish I knew more about it?

Reply #17
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;183238
How's it drive compared to the Montego/Sable? Does it have AWD too?

We have a Fusion here in town in a bright red metallic color with a tasteful body kit and BBS style wheels on it, it looks SHARP. Wish I knew more about it?

Milan = Fusion
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #18
The Milan is a more tasteful car.  Less of the new edge Ford (and the ricey tail lights) and more Mercury.  I'm still baffled that you can get one with a 5 speed.. we have a couple of the AWD ones..  But not 5 speed.

I'll tell you one thing about Mercury (and Ford in general) they have the best interior.  We sell new Lincoln/Mercury, Chevy, Buick, Nissan, Dodge, Honda and Jeep.  The Mercury feels very well put together and the styling is nice.
One 88

Reply #19
Quote from: CougarSE;183245
I'm still baffled that you can get one with a 5 speed...

This is what surprised me, too.
I'm glad to see that there are people who still think the manual transmission has a place in this country.
Of course, Americans are lazy. If there's an optional automatic transmission, by God, they'll get it; no shifting for them!
Whenever I'm in the market for another car, I'm going to do my best to attain that elusive third pedal. I'm still thinking of a '87-'92 Mustang GT.

One of my larger clients is a local F/L/M dealership. They have an '08 Milan in white with a graphite leather interior. The car has the optional audio system and power moonroof, as well as the big aluminum wheels. The best part is that it is a 5-speed.
It's so nice to see a domestic compact car with a manual transmission that isn't totally options-stripped.
If I could stand the front grille on that car, I may actually consider picking one up in a couple of years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #20
They would look nice if there was some kind of chin spoiler on them.
One 88

Reply #21
I usually get mad when people blame the Big 3 for the glut of too-large vehicles on the roads today - after all, they were just building what people want. When people don't want a vehicle it goes away (Aztec, X-90, etc).

However, I firmly believe that the domestic manufacturers are entirely to blame for the phasing out of standard transmissions. They did it for two reasons: Profit (it's cheaper to build 'em all the same way and better still, they can charge more for this standard "feature") and CAFE. The former EPA testing methods made it very easy to "stack the deck" - get higher numbers with an automatic tranny. At the Saturn dealership we always marveled that the automatic equipped cars ALWAYS had higher MPG ratings than identical 5-speed models. Real-world feedback from salesmen who had demos and actual customers suggested it was false.

So did common sense - an auto tranny is heavier, has fewer gear ratios, takes more energy to drive its larger, heavier internal parts, wastes a lot of energy through torque converter slippage, usually has a higher final gear ratio to help the car seem not as sucked-out as it really is, and yet it delivers better economy? Not hardly. Manufacturers simply calibrated the engines and transmissions to obtain optimum fuel economy at the speeds and loads used in EPA testing.

The newer test procedures seems to have undone that. My Saturn is now, with the new figures, rated at a higher MPG than an identical automatic version.

I'm going to guess that with the looming stricter CAFE standards you'll start seeing a comeback of the standard transmission. Automakers will do anything to bump their numbers, and offering shift-it-yourself trannies is one way to do so. Standard transmissions are still very popular in most countries where gasoline is expensive, and those countries are generally more cramped (meaning more stop-and-go driving) than most areas in North America...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #22
Speaking of CAFE, who read the news about a Presidential VETO threat being made in Congress over sping the two tier CAFE regs., putting cars and trucks together for 35mpg in 2020? Well, it turns out that bill, that had already been voted on and passed, is now out the window. The 35 rules now only apply to cars and car based SUV's, whilst trucks and truck based SUV's will get their own CAFE requirements.

This is incredibly good news for domestics, as it is possible to meet these regulations without ditching all the great upcoming models that would have been compromised to average out the cars and trucks. We will get our RWD Zeta's (Camaro/Impala/G8/Park Avenue [maybe]/GTO) and we will get our Challenger. Also, our market wouldn't have to rely almost entirely on compacts and sub-compacts, meaning we don't have to outsource ALL of our small car production (which would have to happen, since US/CAN/MEX assembly lines can't compete in that market) leaving us with no NA production. This saves a LOT of jobs in NA.

Reply #23
You want a good article? Read this:  http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=5555

How did Chrysler fare? My PT Cruiser may very well be the worst car I've ever owned - what a piece of falling apart .

What a disater those things are to work on!  Nothing is easy to get to!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #24
Quote from: V8Demon;183303

Wow, it's no longer fashionable to drive an American car? I guess I missed the memo.

Course what do I know, I'm driving one of Ford's 20-year-old red-headed stepchildren.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #25

Tell me about it :mad:

I have no sway bar - why? bolt snapped off in the frame when I went to install new bushings.

I was trying to replace the bushings in the front control arms today (they wear out for most in 30k-100k miles.) I thought it would be relatively easy after starting the project. Remove ball-joint retainer bolt - check. Remove bolt through front horizontal bushing - check - tab on nut didn't even break off. Now just remove bolt in vertical bushing that goes into sealed frame. Huh? It's spinning without loostening? That's impossible! The frame is sealed and there is NO WAY to get a wrench onto the nut without drilling into the frame. I drilled the frame. The nut is round and protected by a metal ring - it cannot be loosened without lowering the entire x-member (front end). I loostened the bolts - nah - thing is rusted in place. I need my car so I have to drive it with a loose bushing bolt. :mad:

Other items guaranteed to need replacing within the first 50-100k miles:

- Watts linkage pivot - check.

- Tie rod ends - check. Died again in less than 2 years - check

- Front brakes & paper mache rotors every 50k - check

- Front control arm bushings - check. Bolts rusted solid so job is impossible - check

- Tires - wear out prematurely and belts ALWAYS warp thus pummeling front end and making driving straight almost impossible - check

- water pump seeps fluid onto engine making is smell awful - check

- battery covered 1/2" thick with corrosion (can't be seen due to airbox) - check

- car repeatedly died on side of road when sensor failed - codes gave no idea where to look. Somehow this error code issue was fixed when I brought it in for service along with an 8% increase in mileage which was horrible before - hmmmm :beatyoass:

- front wheel bearings fail and make the car sound like a tracked vehicle - check

Other than a suspension that wasn't designed for the oversized/overweight body stuck on a Neon chassis, the car is nice. :D
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #26
Other than a suspension that wasn't designed for the oversized/overweight body stuck on a Neon chassis, the car is nice.

Your wife MADE you buy it, didn't she?:D :flame:
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #27

I just took a look at the article. Of course many of us have known people who consider American cars substandard and look down on those who build them, but I never would have thought that someone might actually have to explain himself to his friends after buying American. Considering that the article concerns a Cadillac vs. a Mercedes S-Class, I guess we're talking about wealthy elitist snobs. I'm not sure what's worse--having to explain oneself to such a class of people--or associating with them in the first place. The funny thing is that I could afford an S-class if I really wanted one, in fact I could purchase one outright. But it makes a lot more sense to me to put that into a six-month CD and save for my future than blow it on something like that. The irony is I often wind up having to explain the fact that I drive the T-Bird when I could afford a Mercedes, though it's usually to friends who could not. Perhaps it's that I had a different upbringing than the Mercedes-owner described in the article. My dad didn't grow up wealthy (and neither did I) and he taught me the value of money. Some niceties are okay, but money should be saved, not flaunted.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #28
I'm not sure what's worse--having to explain oneself to such a class of people--or associating with them in the first place.

Both......I run into this at work....

Reply #29
Toyota just had to recall 470,000 cars in puppiesan. Yes, the puppiesanese market Toyota's are falling apart too. Growing pains. It really has been a bad week for them.

And not long ago Honda had to recall the latest Generation of Civics for Wheel Bearing failure.

I had a 20min talk with my father tonight about why domestics are a smart choice right now. He used to be a GM man, owning a 68 Firebird on through 86 Monte and a few new Chevettes. That last set did it. Through the 90's he trucked us around in S10's with no dash lights (or lights at all) or throw-out bearings. Or the Skylark ......... what can I say about that one? He always tried to stay with GM's, but they constantly scolded him for it.

Then he bought a Subaru, which he sold to me. It was cheap to buy, cheap to run, and never needed fixing (It needed a lot of fixing when I got it though). So he got a 4wd Corolla next and hasn't left Toyota's side since. They're on their third now, an '05, and they love the thing.

But tonight he's been looking seriously at the Malibu. A car that looks better than the Camry and is a good competitor for it, but priced, as he pointed out, just under a Corolla.

I know I'm rambling dirty bowtie talk, but it's the same story with Ford right now. They got their scolding and finally own up to the grief they dished out over the years, and now are really trying to win us back with products we actually want. There's hope, guys.