Skip to main content
Topic: Brake fluid question. (Read 3781 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake fluid question.

Not sure if this is in the wrong place but...

I need to bleed my brakes.  I did an inspection of all my fluids, and I have no rear brakes.  I fixed the leak but now i've come to find out i have no brake fluid.  CougarSE stole it!!!

I have heard that people do some stupid things, like put Mountain Dew for brake fluid. 

Anyway, is there anything else i could use that would work?  Cause i'm very poor til i get paid tomorrow.  I want my car in decent shape because i have to drive like forever to get somewhere.

Just a thought. Thanks for any suggestions.
also
I live in ohio, and it is snowing right now. But if all else fails i'll just get up earlier and fix it.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Re: Brake fluid question.

Reply #1
Nothing can substitute for brake fluid dude.  Use mountain dew and you'll be replacing all the components and the lines.

Reply #2
Brake fluid only !!!!! I once put steering fluid in by accident,I had to replace everything.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
my dad put brake fluid in his power sterring....... :brick:
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
I've done that.It swells the seals to help stop leaks ans squealing.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Use only DOT 3 brake fluid.  (Ideally the kind for FORD vehicals).  Anything else will cause major repairs.

Reply #6
i've heard that aslong as you get out most of the old fluid you can use dot4 I was gonna do this on my zephyr.. anybody think its a bad idea? I have no clue what it has in it now but I topped up the clutch master cly with some dot3
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #7
You've gotta get it all out or replace the components.  I don't think DOT3 and DOT4 mix.

Reply #8
Quote from: Ifixyawata
I don't think DOT3 and DOT4 mix.

You can mix DOT 3,4, and 5.1 fluid with impunity. DOT 5 is not compatible with DOT 3,4,5.1 fluid.

Reply #9
John I will buy you brake fluid,, just answer your phone man!
One 88

Reply #10
yup just brake fluid  probably gonna need a quart to bleed the system

I saw in cuba where they can not get outside parts they make a mix of shampoo and all kinds of other  that works but thats cuba....... it is only a couple bucks a can here

Reply #11
Well, i did manage to get my mom to give me the funds to buy fluid.  All four wheel discs are functioning again.  I really do think you can use Mt. Dew, and i would've tried but it is snowing.  Anyway, brake fluid is genious, but it doesn't taste like coolaid.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #12
Quote from: blu84302
I really do think you can use Mt. Dew

No

Reply #13
Quote from: Ifixyawata

:brick:
 :slap:
 :2gunsfiri

no...

use motor craft dot3, its the best, infact some of its stats exceed the standards for dot4. im going to re do my entire brake system and ill be useing about 2 quarts of it.

my friend didnt know what brake fluid looked like and used a container of dot3 filled with gear lube to fill his resivour with...  he ended up sucking it out with a turkey baster. luckely we found out before he touched the pedal.

Reply #14
Let's see...
Mt. Dew boils at somewhat less than 450 F (nice spongy brakes).
Mt. Dew is mostly water (steel brake lines full of rust, anyone?).
Mt. Dew has no lubricating properties (instant worn-out seals?).

I think I'll stick with "normal" fluid.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!