Skip to main content
Topic: 4cyl t5 swap. (Read 2224 times) previous topic - next topic

4cyl t5 swap.

does anybody know of a redily available pilot bearing for a 4cyl t5 behind a 5.0..  The only reason I would use this transmision, It is very cheap.  I'm not going to be making that much power anyways.  I just want to bang the gears.....  I know I'll need a bellhouseing.. clutch pedals and cable and quadrant and all the normal stuff, but does anybody know that there is something else I will need...  and Yes I have read erics right up.  :grinno:
One 88

Re: 4cyl t5 swap.

Reply #2
I would try to rebuild the tranny and switch out gears and such for the 5.0. I have heard that a 4banger t-5 will get eaten up by a stock v6.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
I think it's eithier a Volvo application or a Probe for the bearing. Can't remember the part number, :wtf: . I know we got it at Autozone though. :)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
The bearing is for late '80s Probe... Neighbor has had a 4cyl trans in a '96 3.8 Mustang for a couple of years now.. His kid has wrecked it a couple of times, but the tranny is still hanging in there.....

As far as installing different gears, possible but it would cost nearly as much as a new tranny. I know, I spent over $600 up grading a early 5.0 tranny to the later(stronger)specs.. And the 4 cyl will need even more pecies than I did.

Reply #5
Thanks Turbo  and cougarman, I know it will work and I know it will hold up for what I'm using it for.  I'll have to check the parts at the zone....
One 88