Skip to main content
Topic: Front coil-over install (Read 7789 times) previous topic - next topic

Front coil-over install

Reply #15
Quote from: JeremyB;180132
They bolt in, but the input shaft is different. You can buy a shaft from Maximum Motorsports that allows the Fox column and SN95 rack input shaft to mate.
Also, as I said earlier, you need to change the TREs too.
Taurus for stock spindles
SN95 for SN95 spindles

MMST-13 $220.

Ok, thanks.  That's a bit pricey thou.  I wonder If I could fab my own up?

Front coil-over install

Reply #16
Quote from: Sduneman3;180151
I wonder If I could fab my own up?

if you hafta "wonder" about it, i wouldnt suggest findin out on a part like a steering shaft.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Front coil-over install

Reply #17
Quote from: gumby;180153
if you hafta "wonder" about it, i wouldnt suggest findin out on a part like a steering shaft.

Yea, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be to hard.  I mean the guys at MM can do it.

Front coil-over install

Reply #18
Quote from: Sduneman3;180154
Yea, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be to hard.  I mean the guys at MM can do it.

And if it were that easy, MM wouldnt be in business.
It's Gumby's fault.

Front coil-over install

Reply #19
Quote from: Tbird232ci;180156
And if it were that easy, MM wouldnt be in business.

Yea, but does the average person have access to a friend's machine shop?

Front coil-over install

Reply #20
btw jeremy, engagement was very poor...  Maybe 1/2" into the TRE. But i have more than enough with the fox stang arms..
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Front coil-over install

Reply #21
Looking mighty spiffy. I really liked the 11-inch PBR setup on my 87TC. Going disc out back?

Uh, is that Knox Creek? :)
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Front coil-over install

Reply #22
Quote from: Ether947;180340
Going disc out back?
Yes. My '99-'04 axles arrived Saturday, but one of the ABS tone rings was broken. D'oh. Nothing a new one (bought by the salvage yard that sent the axles) and a press won't fix.
I still need to trial fit the axles and SN95 brakes before I order the TrueTrac. As of yesterday, the "ship date" was 10/10. Today it has moved to 10/19. I don't want to know how far off it will be in a week.
After discs, paint. After paint, world domination!

Uh, is that Knox Creek? :)
It is by the Indian Creek Greenway.

Front coil-over install

Reply #23
Why would you go with the 99'+ axles?  I've always thought that you had to go with the 94-98' axles for the rear to be the same width as stock?

Front coil-over install

Reply #24
The '99-'04 axles will still fit under the fenders with 17x8 wheels, so I decided to use them. Wider is better.

Also, to run discs on '85.5-'88 7.5" rears, you need the wider axles. '94-'98 stuff won't work.

Front coil-over install

Reply #25
Quote from: JeremyB;180408
The '99-'04 axles will still fit under the fenders with 17x8 wheels, so I decided to use them. Wider is better.

That's good to know.  I can find those for about 1/2 the price!

Front coil-over install

Reply #26
Quote from: JeremyB;180408

Also, to run discs on '85.5-'88 7.5" rears, you need the wider axles. '94-'98 stuff won't work.

Can you confirm the axle length difference between the 84-98 and 99-04's? Everyone loves to say its 3/4 of an inch for everything width related.
It's Gumby's fault.

Front coil-over install

Reply #27
Moser makes the 99+ axles 22/32" (.71875) longer than '94-'98 axles.

Front coil-over install

Reply #28
Hey Jeremy, just out of curiousity...:

Could you look and see if an 18x9 wheel with another 6mm of + offset would clear the fender with your new setup?
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Front coil-over install

Reply #29
Quote from: booksix;180693

Could you look and see if an 18x9 wheel with another 6mm of + offset would clear the fender with your new setup?

I don't know. The current wheel lip is about 1/16" in from the outside of the fender. I don't know how that will be when the suspension travels into bump.