Skip to main content
Topic: Got a Problem!!!! (Read 2926 times) previous topic - next topic

Got a Problem!!!!

Well heres the whole story. A couple of days ago my car started taking more cranks to start. It had always bogged down a bit when I hit the gas. Fast forward to today I was driving and the car started shaking real funny, I reved it up to 5k and then it ran fine after that.
I had noticed a gas smell but wasnt sure what it was and so I look under the car by the filter and there is gas drizzling out pretty fast. So I shut the car down and it hasnt moved since. I am pretty sure the fuel filter is clogged, am I right or could this not be the problem.

I noticed that the fuel was coming out the of the plastic fitting that joins the two plastic lines together. I think the filter is clogged because its only coming out right before the filter.

Re: Got a Problem!!!!

Reply #1
the car started shaking real funny
Well, fuel starvation will make an engine run funny, and since the fuel pressure is kept around 39 psi by the regulator, I'm sure the pump itself will have no problem making a lot more pressure if there's nowhere for the gas to go. Change the filter.

the plastic fitting that joins the two plastic lines together
What fitting are you talking about? Is it stock, or were the lines cut or replaced at some time?
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #2
First time my tbird ran outta gas, the pump fried!  I would replace them both and gain alot of confidence towards the next time this might happen. 

you can buy a fuel pressure gauge for $40 dollars at autozone.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #3
well, you got nuthin to loose trying  a new filter.  It may even be one of the lines or connectors/fittings is bad

Reply #4
Quote from: blu84302
First time my tbird ran outta gas, the pump fried!  I would replace them both and gain alot of confidence towards the next time this might happen. 

you can buy a fuel pressure gauge for $40 dollars at autozone.

your pump fried when you ran out of gas because the fuel in the tank is the only thing that keeps the pump running cool. its like buying one of thos fountains for your house and turning the pump on before you put water in it.

replace the filter, should be fine

Reply #5
My 86 bird, ran outta gas ALOT, but i never had to change the pump on it.  I guess my gas tank has alot of mud or something in it. 

If you do need new plastic lines or clips, autozone sells them.  I recommend just replacing the line that goes from the pump to the filter with just a piece of rubber fuel line.  The  quick connects aren't worth 20 bucks when you could buy a foot of hose for a buck.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #6
Most cars will act opposite if the filter clogs..  they run fine at idle then run rough at higher rpms....

Oh yeah check your fpr, if the diapram is ruptured it will poor gas into the engine until you hit higher rpm's were the engine can use the extre gas, then it will run better..

If you burst a plastic line because of a clogged fuel filter than something else was wrong, those things are good for immense amounts of pressure.
One 88

Reply #7
Just changed the Cougar's filter yesterday. She used to idle erratically back and forth and die sometimes, but now it's smooth as silk. Acceleration seems a bit better during shifts too. Took all of 10 minutes to change. Next up is that py, leaky exhaust system...

Oh yea, if you buy a fuel filter, I recommend NAPA. They have those little plastic clips (that will inevitably break when you try to get them off) included with the filter. I don't recall the Purolator filters coming with them, but I could be mistaken.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #8
if you don't have the clips you can use nails and about 4 or 5 of those will hold it together.  But Autozone has them too.  It's like 3 bucks for a pack of 4 clips.

Project Thread with pics

Reply #9
Nails.....  Hmm John no wonder you have problems..  anyways  the fuel filters autozone sells come with the clips...  but if you need more they got em..
One 88

Reply #10
Don't use rubber hose on a high pressure line like that.  I know it's rated for 50 PSI but it's not the kinda thing you want to chance back there.  I should talk, heh, I just replaced a large section of rubber return line on my mercury with cheap rubber shiznit.  But I figured that the return is a lot lower PSI than the feed is.  Oh well... don't be dumb like me.