Skip to main content
Topic: Guitar Majic (Read 1239 times) previous topic - next topic

Guitar Majic

Every time someone shows me a youtube link I end up browsing the related videos for a couple hours. The first one I saw was a guitarist I recognized:
Tommy Emmanuel
(Kudos to anyone who can name this song)
From there I found some truly amazing work by artist I had not heard of. Just search for Dominic Frasca (Plays percussion on guitar) or Doyle puppiess (looks like John Candy, plays like Roy Clark) and be amazed.
Michael Chapdelaine blew my mind as well.

Just thought I'd share. :)

Guitar Majic

Reply #1
pretty cool stuff, but those guitars are setup to play a certain song. you can see some tools that hold down certain strings at certain frets, to get it to work.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Guitar Majic

Reply #2
Just an old fashioned love song!! I have it on my computer

Guitar Majic

Reply #3
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;177372
pretty cool stuff, but those guitars are setup to play a certain song. you can see some tools that hold down certain strings at certain frets, to get it to work.

It's the same as tuning to DADGAD, or the like. Capo's. Whatever it takes, right? :)

Guitar Majic

Reply #4
Yeah, a capo just raises the base tuning of the guitar. I use a capo quite often.

Martin:
That video clip is from one of his DVDs, which I've seen. You should try to find the DVD - it's well worth the money.
Have you heard Tommy's version of "Windy & Warm?" I don't know who actually wrote the song, but Chet Atkins made it famous before Tommy. Chet, being one of Tommy's biggest influences, did some cool stuff with Beatles songs.
If you want to be really blown away, do a search for "Phil Keaggy - Salvation Army Band."
I watch that video about three times a month; I'm in constant awe of Phil Keaggy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guitar Majic

Reply #5
Quote from: cougarcragar;177388
Yeah, a capo just raises the base tuning of the guitar. I use a capo quite often.

Martin:
That video clip is from one of his DVDs, which I've seen. You should try to find the DVD - it's well worth the money.
Have you heard Tommy's version of "Windy & Warm?" I don't know who actually wrote the song, but Chet Atkins made it famous before Tommy. Chet, being one of Tommy's biggest influences, did some cool stuff with Beatles songs.
If you want to be really blown away, do a search for "Phil Keaggy - Salvation Army Band."
I watch that video about three times a month; I'm in constant awe of Phil Keaggy.

Actually one of the best clips of Tommy's that I saw was one where he had a 4 piece string quartet ready to play Classical Gas (Mason Williams) He got to bantering with the audience and would get through a few bars of Classical Gas then jump off onto a completely different song then sorta work his way back to Claassical Gas only to sidetrack again. From Waltzing Matilda to Smoke on the Water to Mozart to Johnny B. Goode to Warm and Windy to The Pink Panther. It was great and the transitions between songs was so smooth.

What really makes me smile watching his videos is that you can see he absolutely loves what he's doing.

I'll have to look up Phil Keaggy. :)

Guitar Majic

Reply #6
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;177372

In the case of Dominic, yes, he goes to some pretty extreme lengths to get the sound he wants, He's starting out with a 10 sting guitar. But using capos and other devices is not at all uncommon in the classical guitar world.

Here's Trace Bundy using FIVE capos for a piece. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09mil-kOzHE&mode=related&search=

And another where he actually adds and removes capos while he's playing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QckSTgvONc&mode=related&search=

Guitar Majic

Reply #7
Quote from: oldraven;177387
It's the same as tuning to DADGAD, or the like. Capo's. Whatever it takes, right? :)

well, not really. i dont think you would tune an open string an additional 6 steps, if you're already in standard tuning. but, when i think about it it, Soundgarden had some weird tunings. :hick:
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Guitar Majic

Reply #8
I'll have to look up Phil Keaggy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Keaggy

Oh, and look where he's from...
Philip Tyler Keaggy (born March 23, 1951 in Youngstown, Ohio[1]) is an American acoustic and electric guitarist and vocalist

Why, it looks like the world can thank my little town for producing him. ;)

Guitar Majic

Reply #9
Quote from: EricCoolCats;177432
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Keaggy

Oh, and look where he's from...

Why, it looks like the world can thank my little town for producing him. ;)

Having listened to some of his stuff on youtube this morning, I could thank your town, but I suspect the town itself didn't really help him along. ;)

I wonder if he's ever had a Cougar. :D

Guitar Majic

Reply #10
For a second there I thought this said "Guitar Hero".  ... .. . der.

Guitar Majic

Reply #11
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;177429
well, not really. i dont think you would tune an open string an additional 6 steps, if you're already in standard tuning. but, when i think about it it, Soundgarden had some weird tunings. :hick:

No, you wouldn't retune to get the same effect a capo can give, but tuning every string do a non standard tune (like I said, DADGAD) is pretty much the same thing as what he's doing, just not having your open back to the upper bridge.