Skip to main content
Topic: 3G Revisit (Read 2361 times) previous topic - next topic

3G Revisit

Reply #15
Quote from: ztrane;177476
Okay, my regulator shows ASI on connector.  Currently A is yellow/white and S is green/red and I is black.  This has not been messed with since i bought car serveral months ago.  I have drove like this about 1000 miles so far.

Sorry I missed this. I was working from the 87 EVTM. Looks like the 88 is different.
They are using the S to excite the alternator when the ignition is in RUN and the I is unused.

Quote from: ztrane;177592
Okay, I put cut the wire cover back a little on the s wire (green/with red) and strapped on a 10g to stator connector.  It started up and I tested battery and alternator to chassis and only got 12.4 at best.  Not much of an increase, not to mention my windows are much slower, especially passanger side. Other than that, it is smooth.  My old one was unbalanced and had excessive wobble (made the clickdy sound when speeding up).  No wires are hot, I pray:bowdown:  to the cougar gods to not lite my alternator regulator on fire.

Splicing the stator voltage together with the ignition voltage doesn't sound good to me.

What are we working with here? The original alternator or have you installed the 3G?

12.4 volts with it runnong is not good.

To test if the alt is being excited; hold a hacksaw blade by one end and put the other end near the laminated part of the alt. With the ignition in run(don't start) you should feel magnetism. Ingition off, no magnetism.

3G Revisit

Reply #16
Ill say it again,, like people will listen:mad:

The 87 and down TC is T  TOTALLY different from the 88TC.

ztrane never once said which year car he has,, unless i missed it somewhere.

The diagram on the sticky is applicable to the 88.

The 87 has only one boot connector , not two.

3G Revisit

Reply #17
Okay, my car is also an 88.  To answer the 12.4 volts coming from the 3G is because its bad.  I took it to auto store and they tested the ground, regulator, and charge.  It failed all three, currently looking into getting replacement.  As for wires, well all I am saying is not all harness' are same color or configuration.  My 88 cougar xr7 v8 has the 2.3l connector.  The stator wire on my harness goes from the green/red into harness around front of car. Not into the big power plug like all other descriptions.  Anyways, will try again soon upon alternator replacement.

3G Revisit

Reply #18
Before you plug in the three wire regulator connector to the new alternator:
1. DO NOT hook the wire you spliced to green/red wire to the alternator stator output. Leave it unhooked.
2. check that the yellow/white wire has 12 volts all the time.
3. check that the green/red wire has 12 volts with the ignition in RUN.

Plug in the the three wire regulator connector. AGAIN LEAVE THE STATOR WIRE DISCONNECTED FROM THE ALTERNATOR.
Start it up and test it out.

Now you have a decision to make.
1. Remove the wire you spliced onto the green/red wire and tape up the bare wire.
2. Or if you want to use the stator output from the alternator you have to cut the green /red wire and splice it to the black wire.
So you wind up with the green/red going to the I and the stator output going to the S.

Start it up. Turn everything electrical on. headlights,stereo,blower on high, rear window defogger. Rev The engine to 2000, feel all the wires on the Alt for overheating. Check that the output voltage holds up under this load.

3G Revisit

Reply #19
I talked to Zach (Ztrane),and it's a bad alternator.I'm hooking him up with a good one,and he should be on the road.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

3G Revisit

Reply #20
Quote from: vinnietbird;177799
I talked to Zach (Ztrane),and it's a bad alternator.I'm hooking him up with a good one,and he should be on the road.

I hope you are not suggesting he leave the wireing the way he currently has it.

3G Revisit

Reply #21
I'm suggesting that I'm giving him (gave him) a replacement.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..