Skip to main content
Topic: difference between 86/87 eec harness (Read 6979 times) previous topic - next topic

difference between 86/87 eec harness

Reply #15
Hello

Not too sure about that vinniebird.  What I would do is take a pic of yours and go and look at them.  All I know for sure is that the 86 harness is different.

I had to disconnect my egr because it was surging.

igiveup
86 ELAN t-bird all mustang parts (Sold)  I love this site.
85 bronco 2. Dura sparked (soon TBI) too many parts
1988 5.0 lx Stang (93 gt cobra mass air)
85 Honda 250sx trike
06 F150 tow rig. all kinds of goodies.(This is why I sold the Bird)
igiveup was the only name I could get. lol

Reply #16
Quote from: vinnietbird;172159
Will the '87 and '88 be a direct swap with each other?

No
One 88

Reply #17
The reason I wanted to know,is,I have a second harness,and truthfully,now that I look back on it,I'm not sure if the car was an '87 or an '88.Those two years of cars looked identical.I pulled the harness for a fellow member who decided after I bought it,he didn't want it,so,I did the mass air conversion on it,and was planning on putting it in my '88.what was the difference betwen the '87 and '88 5.0 cars?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #18
Connectors by the firewall.
One 88

Reply #19
What connectors by the firewall?More input.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #20
The ones beside the booster.. a gray and a black one.. where the engine harness plugs into the dash harness..  the grays are the same between the two years.. but the black is different..  I believe Tom said something to the effect that he didn't even plug the black on in as all it did was run the gauges..
One 88

Reply #21
Well,I nmeed to run the gauges.I'll pull the harness out of the garage and check those plugs and then I'll HOPE they are the same.I may do that this evening if I can get off my butt.I hate working for a living.Leaves me tired sometimes.I need to just quit messing around and go ahead and win the lottery.

Reply #22
Checked the harness,the grey and black plugs are the same between the two harnesses.Cooooool (since I already did the Mass Air conversion on my extra harness).Now all I have to do is install it.

Reply #23
Hello
  Well I guess im going to take the harness apart and follow each wire back to each part.  What a pain in the A$$.  Ran the codes and 41, 33,  91 came up.  I know my car is running rich(not lean) and my egr is disconnected and my trany has no elctronics.  Dam Fords but I love my 5.0s.

Any ideas to help me out.

igiveup
85 Honda 250sx trike

Reply #24
86        engine      harness.........
One 88

Reply #25
Quote from: CougarSE;172451
The ones beside the booster.. a gray and a black one.. where the engine harness plugs into the dash harness..  the grays are the same between the two years.. but the black is different..  I believe Tom said something to the effect that he didn't even plug the black on in as all it did was run the gauges..

$hit if you say so... I'm gettin' senile, I don't have a clue what circuits the black plug on the body harness connects... I had gages before I installed the aftermarket cluster, so that ain't it... Anyway, it's not connected and everything works... BUT you have to remember, a TC is quite different than the other models...

I believe it's at least partly for the turbo over boost and other related circuits... Possibly the speed sensor is in it as well... I tapped in at the harness where it comes through the floor at the shifter... My wires for S/S are run inside, under dash...

EDIT... Well we're both FOS, it's the gray plug that's not connected...

The Black plug by the MC fill is the one that's extra on the '87s... It feeds voltage to the EEC relay and ???? 

http://members.pen 15s.net/turbocoupe50/50wiring.jpg

Reply #26
this may help

If you search electrical tech,, i can assure you that you will find more wiring diagrams than you ever expected.

Reply #27
and the last page,,,

please dont say "my neck hurts":hick:  thats what they make

right click
save as

for.

Reply #28
hello

Yes its the 86 harness.  Would a shot o2 sensor say its running lean?

igiveup
85 Honda 250sx trike

Reply #29
sorry to bring up a old post. But this kind of has some berring on my swap. Im using the 86 harness in my 84. And i do have power to the car and the headlights working just fine but i think i have everything wired up right but now when i go to try to crank the engine i get the click like its a dead bat, But the batt tests out fine. Now in thinking its my wires. also im not getting power to the fuel pump relay. But im asking where does the wire that comes off the silinoid where does that connect to on the 84 harness? and also if you jump the 2 pr0ngs on the silinoid shouldn't the starter crank? But what would help is if someone who did the swap could let me know what wires hook together and what not. And thanks for the help before hand if i forget to say so later.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com