Skip to main content
Topic: AC freon (Read 3417 times) previous topic - next topic

AC freon

what would be the consiquences of puting r134 in a standard ac system??
would it work or frick it up??
thanks, Joe
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

AC freon

Reply #1
Off the record I heard of guys doing it and getting away w/it but don’t recommend it. It will work but not as good as real R-12 or a good conversion R-134 set-up the thing is 134 needs a bigger condenser then the R12. So buy using the 134 in a R12 condenser won’t be as cold.
What I do recommend is finding this aftermarket stuff call freeze12 it’s a mixture of Freon’s for an R12 setup it goes for about 15 bucks a can but remember this also contaminates your system read the instructions. After this gets you buy for a while I recommend a full 134 conversion.

AC freon

Reply #2
It isn't that the R134a needs a bigger condenser it needs one with more fins per inch/mm. I put the R134a in my R12 system. I did flush everything out with the A/c flush first. Then I installed new O-ring seals. Had it pressure tested then put in the R134a. Been working great for 3+ years now. I can tell that it doesn't work as well as my R134a system in my 94 cougar at least when going slow or sitting still. I've been told that if you put a 94up stang R134a condenser and a auto adjusting orifice tube that it will be just like a R134a system. Also many people that convert form R12 to R134a and want a cheap simple setup use a large electric fan in front of the condenser so when they are in traffic it still keeps them cool.

Maybe if we were all lucky we could get a member down in Mexico to ship us some R12 on the cheap. It is still made down there and you can buy it at most parts store there.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

AC freon

Reply #3
interesting.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

AC freon

Reply #4
Quote from: flipnbird;171368
thanks, Joe

Can you be more specific?

Are you asking what would happen if you slap R-134a in your system, how to properly retrofit your car, or how a properly retrofitted car will perform when compared to R-12?

AC freon

Reply #5
as a standard rule of thumb never mix different refridgerants. damage may result and parts can get expensive

AC freon

Reply #6
My 88 cougar was just autozone converted..  fittings and charged up with R134a.. Worked great.. The A/C was very cold.  I would say just charge it up without doing any expensive retrofits.. just get all of the old R12 out, it and R134a together turn into an acid that will eat the lines and seize the compressor.
One 88

AC freon

Reply #7
Quote from: flipnbird;171368
thanks, Joe

Quick and dirty answer, yes it will work... How well... Who knows???

That said, the R134 refrigerant is not compatible with the original mineral oil used in the R12 system, it becomes acidic eventually corroding and destroying the system internally...

There's quite a bit of work involved to convert one correctly...

AC freon

Reply #8
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;171451
There's quite a bit of work involved to convert one correctly...
Cold, reliable A/C is worth a little bit of work.

I've got half a mind to convert one of my cars to an expansion valve setup. Just for sheets and giggles.

AC freon

Reply #9
Wait a minute...so...I could buy a cheap electric fan and stick it in front of the Condenser...and I wouldn't have to worry about the Air not being so cold when at a dead stop or in slow traffic? Has anyone here done this???

I feel some jerry-rigging coming on....
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

AC freon

Reply #10
one of the lines on my a/c compressor was disconnected.  what are the chances that all of the r12 is out of ther?  it's been off for at LEAST a month.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

AC freon

Reply #11
Quote from: DMC24guy;171525
Wait a minute...so...I could buy a cheap electric fan and stick it in front of the Condenser...and I wouldn't have to worry about the Air not being so cold when at a dead stop or in slow traffic? Has anyone here done this???

I feel some jerry-rigging coming on....
Won't make much of a difference.

Quote from: turboranger91;171529
one of the lines on my a/c compressor was disconnected.  what are the chances that all of the r12 is out of ther?  it's been off for at LEAST a month.
100% chance all of the R-12 is out. 100% chance you still have a lot of mineral oil still in the system. You need to purge oil left in the system.

AC freon

Reply #12
Quote from: turboranger91;171529

Replace the evaporator now, disconnected that long it’s dirty and contaminated it will never run right unless you fix it properly.
Long story short listening to what you have now you might want to consider a proper retrofit kit. And yes the oils on R12 and R134 are different so you would want to evacuate the whole system before converting though I have heard of guys dumping it right on top and getting away w it, I highly don’t recommend that it won’t work for very long and any good.
If you go to a shop they can hook up a vacuum to your system removing all the old Freon and oils and w/the vacuum still hooked up they can tell for leaks.

AC freon

Reply #13
Quote from: Innes;171566
Replace the evaporator now, disconnected that long it’s dirty and contaminated it will never run right unless you fix it properly.

The evaporator is fine. However, the acspoogeulator will need to be replaced
If you go to a shop they can hook up a vacuum to your system removing all the old Freon and oils and w/the vacuum still hooked up they can tell for leaks.

The mineral oil will need to be flushed out with solvents. Hooking up a vacuum pump in this situation will remove almost no oil.

AC freon

Reply #14
Quote from: JeremyB;171455
Cold, reliable A/C is worth a little bit of work.

No argument from me... After the compressor burned up(literally) I converted the wifes '93 Grand Marquis... Everything was replaced except for the evaporator and condenser... Found the '94s with R134 used the same ones, so I saw no reason to swap out good parts, just flushed the Hell out of them...

My '93 Lightning and '88 Bird still circulate R12...