Skip to main content
Topic: Car wont stay running when releases key.... (Read 2096 times) previous topic - next topic

Car wont stay running when releases key....

Well, as some of you guys may know, my cougar is my yard ornament since Oct of 2005, but when i have nothing to do, i try to start the car for some minutes. The last time the car fired up was like 5 months ago. Well, yesterday i went, jumped at the car, turned the key, the car started, but when i released the key, the car died.

I tried again and the car started, but when i released the key the car died.....

There is a position in the ignition cylinder when between RUN and ON (yes, there isnt one but let me explain) when the starter is not running but the car STAYS RUNNING....if i let off the key (to the  origibuttstuff ON position) the car dies....

i noticed that any of the gauges at the instrument cluster come up, so maybe im having an electrical fault. Maybe a fuse, but i dont know...

Feel free to give me an advice.....

Thanks....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #1
Measure the voltage at the red wire on the coil. It should stay at 12 volts with the ignition in run.

Reply #2
pull the cover off the steering column and check the (not quite sure of the name) ignition module (?).  you can't miss it.  it's a part about 3 inches long and it's plastic and metal.  it likes to come apart.  i've zip tied them in the past and had zero problems.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #3
Had mine do the same thing, I could actually drive the car this way, no guages but would stay running. I ended up replacing the ignition switch that turboranger is speaking of and also my neg bat terminal. It was the original one and it would move ever so slightly and loose ground. Been fine for a year now.

Reply #4
Why don't you just replace the ignition switch?They're cheap.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Replace the ignition switch or keep a fire extinguisher handy - your choice :D

Mexcougar - it's common for the ignition switches in these cars to fail (and also quite common for them to catch fire and burn the car - so common that Ford recalled them in the mid 90's). Replace it ASAP (as Vinnietbird says, they're cheap, like $12), and I'd recommend keeping the battery disconnected until you do.

Turboranger: You've zip-tied failed ignition switches together? Your car is a ticking time bomb!
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
(and also quite common for them to catch fire and burn the car - so common that Ford recalled them in the mid 90's).

I never knew that LOL, that is real nice to know.
.: Lastest :.

Reply #7
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;170280

Turboranger: You've zip-tied failed ignition switches together? Your car is a ticking time bomb!
  I think he means zip tieing to hold the connector on.. mine kept coming undone on my 88 cougar.  But the switch was new.
One 88

Reply #8
Ill check the ignition switch when the rain is over, maybe i can get one not very expensive (if i can find one here...),but ill have to carry 3 keys .... (one for doors, one for the ignition and one for the trunk...):hick:

Why is so dangerous the ignition switch ? are they likely to fail or burn my entire car/house/money/dog ?

EDIT:

Uhh, Carmen , you are right !!!!!!
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #9
Not the ignition cylinder(where the key goes),the ignition switch(where the wiring goes in the column).

Reply #10
Isn't this the car with the TFI module and a the early Duraspark system tied together???

Thinking it may have a open(bad connection) in the wiring some where back to the module... The Duraspark "RUN" is fed from a different wire than when cranking...

Course a bad switch could be the problem...

Reply #11
the one that i did was on my 85.  the guy that bought it ended up replacing it. 

honestly, i would have just replaced it, but it happened while i was on the road, and didn't have access to a parts store.  i just never got around to doing it.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #12
Quote from: MexCougar;170191
Well, as some of you guys may know, my cougar is my yard ornament since Oct of 2005,

Or you could plant flowers in it.

Reply #13
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;170365
Isn't this the car with the TFI module and a the early Duraspark system tied together???

Thinking it may have a open(bad connection) in the wiring some where back to the module... The Duraspark "RUN" is fed from a different wire than when cranking...

Course a bad switch could be the problem...

Mr. Tom, yeah, you are right :hick: but i removed the steering column cover and guess what ? the ignition switch was falling apart, so i don't have any choice but to replace it . Thanks.

Quote from: softtouch;170512
Or you could plant flowers in it.

Actually it has even cats sleeping under.......or rats of the size of cat....i`m not enough curious to look without a shotgun....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #14
Well a switch is easy enough... Probably has tamper resistant Torx screws...

Those have a tiny 'tit" in the center, so you'll need a hollow bit...