Skip to main content
Topic: CD changer install (Read 1667 times) previous topic - next topic

CD changer install

i know most of y'all remember the thread about using a CD changer which transmits through the antenna on an FM station

well, i got it in, set it up, rather easy install, hardest part was hiding wires, once i reset the unit, programmed in the station, i hit play

i was amazed at how well it worked, i didnt have any radio distortion, the sound quality isnt the same as an aftermarket head unit, its like there is a cassette or a radio station, but still being able to listen to CD's is great

i just need to find a way to mount the remote out of the way, in a manner that wont damage ANYTHING, and make it easily hidden, right now its dangaling from my console
It's Gumby's fault.

Re: CD changer install

Reply #1
Yeah I've installed a couple of those that use an RF Modulator, really simple.  I've found sound quality is a bit better than most radiostations, but it's still slightly lacking from what a nice cd aftermarket head would give you.

I have the consolette in my Bird, so I was able to have the remote lead come out at the back of dash/firewall area, tuck under the inside edge of the passenger floormat, then just before the seattrack starts, it goes up between the passenger seat and driveshaft hump, then wire loops gently and tuck the remote under the leading edge of the consolette.  It was a fairly clean installation, wires don't really appear exposed unless you try to find them, even if I had someone sit on the passengerside, they'd have to work to get the wire out where they can get tangled in it.  A much better way would have been to install it under the carpet, but I didn't feel that ambitious.

I believe you're running a full console in the red one, and assume the new TC?  I don't have a full one yet so I don't really have an ideas for routing that way.

Re: CD changer install

Reply #2
My wife got me a 10 disc changer for our anniversary last year.I was really amazed at how easy it was to install.I can drive for a week,and not hear the same song twice.Very nice.I pulled the full console on my car,and ran the wiring under the rear seat,under the carpet and console,behind the A/C controls and to the CD playr (I can hold 11 CD's all together).and no problems.I ran the remote wire from behind the A/C controls up and around to my console.I have a couple of extra dash panels and pieces,and I've thought about cutting one and seeing if I could mount the remote in the dash and use it with out having it dangle anywhere.No wires to see,just buttons on the dash.It would probably be pretty easy.Also,I can always go back to stock.......but why would I?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..