Skip to main content
Topic: spark plugs and wires questions? (Read 1126 times) previous topic - next topic

spark plugs and wires questions?

what does 10.4mm size spark plug wires mean and what does the size do compare to stock spark plug wires. also what size is stock and do these spark plugs wires work with any spark plug. which brands spark plugs are the best for a msd setup. do mustangs from 94-98 have a distributor so i can use msd spark plug wires from those mustangs for my cougar:cougarsmily:.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

Reply #1
The 4.6 uses coil packs dosen't it?... I belive stock to be 8mm and I belive all spark plugs to be the same. Stay away from multipule pr0ngs as far as spark plugs go.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
what about v6 mustang from 94-98 do they have distributor and what is multiple pr0ngs and what is the problems with them.
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

Reply #3
the larger the conductor,, the more current carrying capacity it has.  If your source of power is your coil,, it may or may not be delivering power that exceeds the wires you already have.

if you have a single coil delivering 18,000 volts,, and your wires are rated for less than that,,, Then your wires are definatly de rated and going larger will help "mathmatically" but id doubt you'll notice any difference. 

Personally, I installed 6awg flex and made ends for the plugs ect and all i really got in return was radio noise,,,lol

Reply #4
Just because the wire is bigger doesnt mean the conductor is though, a lot of them probably just add more insulator to the wire and call it bigger.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #5
do mustangs from 94-98 have a distributor.
what do you guy think of msd spark plug wires?