Skip to main content
Topic: Should I have a non locking convertor? (Read 4239 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Should I have a non locking convertor?

Reply #15
I don't think AOD's have converter clutches.  The converter is just bypassed in 3rd & 4th gears.  Someone told me the bucking was actually the trans clutches slipping due to low rpm.  Something about not enough pressure in the trans to keep them tightly engaged.  I suspect it's true because mine only does it at very low rpm.

Reply #16
:mad: im not at all comfortable with the metal flakes you see after such a small amount of time.  For christ sakes,, you should not physically ***SEE*** metal in the pan just yet.  ,,,, maybe in a few more hundred miles id say "could be normal but keep your eye on it".

gezz, my AOD has over 200k and i dont have anything but perfect colored tranny fluid.  I dont put any faith in that so called knumb skull bla bla bla break in theory.  Best keep on em about the warrenty of the rebuild.

Reply #17
I dont think there is much of a warrenty, local shops wanted way to much money and some wouldnt event touch our tranny. We took our chances with a private builder...he came highly recomended with the mustang guys around here, he was even credited in muscle mustang a wile back for building a trans for a 10 sec. mustang....our tranny was to be built to the same spects? ....I dont know... I guess well see!

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's