Skip to main content
Topic: The saga of the '83 2.3T (Grab a beer and a snack) (Read 4071 times) previous topic - next topic

The saga of the '83 2.3T (Grab a beer and a snack)

Reply #30
Quote from: turboranger91;173110
that looks great, chuck.  so you're not doing anything else to this head other then cleaning it up and mildly porting it?

Nope...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #31
Ok, well I finally got the porting work done on the replacement head today. 

Nothing fancy, just some mild port work.  One thing I did do was raise the roof of the big radius on the ex port to try and help smooth the flow.  I basically just raised it by 1/8".  Hard to really see in a pic and I forgot to take a side-by-side one.

Next item is the little work for the oil-control cam bearings (which deliver the oil to the top of the cam bearing where the load is instead of the bottom.  Then it's off to be faced and then time for reassembly.  I went ahead and picked up a set of drop-in springs with a higher seat pressure as well.

Reply #32
looks great. i need to do that to one of my spare heads so it will be ready if/when i pop a HG
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #33
ok,, i need some help here,,,,,,,,,

thats considered a MILD port job?????????????

id hate to see a major.

good job man,

Reply #34
Quote from: jcassity;175215
ok,, i need some help here,,,,,,,,,

thats considered a MILD port job?????????????

id hate to see a major.

good job man,

Yeah "major" would have involved removing the valve guide bosses completely, hogging the bowls a bit more and REALLY opening up the exhaust port (enlarging the diameter as well as raising the port roof) ;)

Still std-sized valves too.

Reply #35
Quote from: Chuck W;175220
Yeah "major" would have involved removing the valve guide bosses completely, hogging the bowls a bit more and REALLY opening up the exhaust port (enlarging the diameter as well as raising the port roof) ;)

Still std-sized valves too.

if you want,, i have a real nice set of valve seat cutting tools made by Neway if you want to borrow them.  Theres about 12 dies and guides with a T bar.  I can borrow it out to you till i need it back.

Reply #36
Quote from: jcassity;175237
if you want,, i have a real nice set of valve seat cutting tools made by Neway if you want to borrow them.  Theres about 12 dies and guides with a T bar.  I can borrow it out to you till i need it back.

I appreciate the offer, but I didn't plan on doing big valves in this head.  I just want it back on the road.  I just had a serious mental block with dropping a BONE STOCK head on it.

Reply #37
what does polishing the combustion chamber do ?
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #38
Quote from: CougarCoupe88;175274

Helps against carbon build up.

Reply #39
Quote from: CougarCoupe88;175274

what chuck said, but it also helps to prevent detonation by reducing the the chance of a hot spot due to as cast roughness
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Reply #40
That's a lot of work for a "temporary" engine. :p

j/k looks good.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #41
ahhh i see . thanks for the info
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!