Skip to main content
Topic: Cruise control troubleshooting tips (Read 6690 times) previous topic - next topic

Cruise control troubleshooting tips

I guess I need a new servo motor. I checked the steering wheel rings and the contacts that ride on them, with a multimeter using the "beep" continuity setting and they're all good. I don't have vacuum leaks, so I'm assuming the servo went dead, because the cruise control does nothing at all, and has since my dad bought the car (I think it failed shortly after he got it, didnt get erratic or try to kill him a la that other thread or anything it just stopped working altogether.

What other cars/years interchange? Or is it only 87-88 Cougars/Tbirds? Anyone got one by any chance?

Later
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #2
It will work on a 87/88?

If so how much for it? Condition/pics just to be sure? Thx
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #3
You'll probably need one from an '86 to '88.It'll have the cable connected to it that connects to the throttle cable bracket.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Cables are interchangeable, at least on the '87-'88... I still have the orig 2.3 servo with a 5.0 cable...

Also the amplifier could be the problem... Little box on the firewall at the top of your left toes...

Reply #5
Amplifier huh? So thats inside the car then? How can I test it? If not can I buy one from a Ford/Merc dealer? How much do they run?

Reply #9
sheesh i wish i knew how to upload all these pics on one post.  never figured out how ther people get more than three per post..

and more.......

Reply #10
hour and a half later,,,,after i scanned,,,,,,,,,
man this sux being on dial up

Reply #11
:D finally the last page:D

The EVTM has info as well, someone else cao post that:D

Reply #12
anyone notice the reference made to AC voltage on page 8?

interesting.

Reply #13
Quote from: jcassity;160737
anyone notice the reference made to AC voltage on page 8?

interesting.

UHHH I scanned down the thread to quickly, got dizzy and fell outt the chair.... :crazy:

Reply #14
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;160759
UHHH I scanned down the thread to quickly, got dizzy and fell outt the chair.... :crazy:

huuu????:confused:

i missed something:D