Skip to main content
Topic: climate control (Read 2097 times) previous topic - next topic

climate control

Reply #15
Quote from: thunderjet302;161942
What is R416? I know R134A is used to replace R12 but I've never heard of R416.

It's one of the R12 replacements... Don't remember the particulars(some are flammable) but I bet you could find info on the net...

climate control

Reply #16

R134a is used to replace R12. However, to do so you'd have to replace a couple of a/c parts in an R12 system because R134a uses thinner oil, etc... So they've come up with R416, which is a legal blend of a couple of things and can be used in R12 systems without having to modify the a/c

climate control

Reply #17

It's a (legal) blend of some stuff, used to replace R12. The advantage of R416 over R134a is you don't have to replace R12-A/C parts to be able to use it. It probably has disadvantages as well, but I haven't looked in to that yet :)

climate control

Reply #18
R-416a = FR12

I wrote a post on the pros and cons of some alternative refrigerants, but it has been lost in foxtbirdcougarforums search ether.

Ah, found it thanks to Google. http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=8243

climate control

Reply #19
I finally had the A/C checked out yesterday. It was nearly empty, as I suspected, so it's been recharged with R416. It cools fine now, good enough for me anyway, hope it's gonna last for a couple of years. The clutch sound seems to be gone too.
However, when I got home I noticed that with the ECC on the stalling is still happening. This time it's only happening when the car is in N or P. When it's in any other gear the idle is mooth and w/o bumps and stalls. :disappoin

climate control

Reply #20
Quote from: thebruins;162092
The advantage of R416 over R134a is you don't have to replace R12-A/C parts to be able to use it. It probably has disadvantages as well, but I haven't looked in to that yet :)
R-416A is 59% R-134a. Thus, the acspoogeulator will need to be changed if it contains XH-5 desiccant. O-rings should be changed too.