Skip to main content

Poll

Where would you stop me and tell me you uninterested.

Total Members Voted: 16

Topic: Please vote! who likes a good steak?! (Read 2613 times) previous topic - next topic

Please vote! who likes a good steak?!

ok right now im training to be a field salesman for a meat packaging place. 

so here's the sale's pitch.

A_) Hello there! :D how are you? My name is Drew Story and I work for the cattle exchange company from lagrange georgia.  i was in the neighborhood delivering food and decided to knock on a couple doors to see if i could possibly get some new customers.

B_) We sell by the case, and each case has a variety of cuts.  all the meat is vacspoogee sealed and rapid frozen with nitrogen to seal in the netrition value.  depending on how the case is packed you recieve 10 - 4oz mesquite strip steaks, 4 - 10oz porter house steaks, 6 - 9 oz boneless ribeye steaks, 24 - 4 oz homestyle chop steaks, 8 - 6oz bacon wrapped filets, 4 - 11oz trip loin steaks, 4 - 10 oz T bone steaks, and/or 10 - 4oz peppercorn strip steaks.  (this is just the beef section, we sell pork, chicken, and sea food in the same fashion, a six pack crate.)  now you dont have to buy a crate of each, i can arange a crate for you with 6 boxes of your choice.  you want 6 t bone boxes, done.  want 3 porter house, 3 boneless ribeye, done.  any way you want it. btw the beef is black angus that was free ranged, which means there were no vitamines, hormones or any of that stuff.  its very healthy as for red meat goes.  we guarantee our product 100% for tenderness, flavor, and to be free from freezer burn for 12 months.  if for any reason your not satisfied with the box of meat you have recieved, we will personally come to your house and take back the un eaten portions and give you a full box.  if this is not done within 24 hours, call a lawyer b/c the state of ga mandates that we exchange the bad meat withint the 24 hour period.

C_) now on our brochure here, the six pack special is 299 a crate.  but since your a new customer, i'll cut you a deal.  i'll knock off a hundred dollars, down to 199 a six pack.  if you buy 2 cases i'll kick the price down to 170 a crate.  (since there are pork, chicken and seafood) if you buy the chicken six pack which retails at 259.00, and the steak six pack.  i'll give you the chicken crate if you pay the 299.00 steak crate price. (i can be VERY fexible with the price.)

i get paid in commision, i basically get paid for how many boxes i sell a day, and i get paid daily.  im not too sure of this job b/c although they provide a company truck, i gotta buy gas for it and maintain it (not so hard but it, why does it have to come out of my pocket?)

Reply #1
keep it short and sweet, and i'd consider buying... but who can afford to buy 2-300 bucks for some steaks with no prior notice or want to buy it?
not trying to be mean, but just my opinion on it. if there were 25 or 50 dollar packages, it might be cool.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #2
My opinion on door to door sales is pretty straight forward. I'm polite, but in the back of my mind I just want to beller at the person, "Do I look like I'm at a grocery store? No, I'm in my doorway. If I was looking for steak I'd be strolling down the aisle or calling my local cattle farmer."

Of course, I realise you're just doing your job, so I keep these thoughts to myself. In my opinion, if people want the product they'll come to you, so this sales tactic is severely annoying. Fund raising is something different, however.

I'd have politely stopped you at a). :)

If you kept going, I'd probably say something similar to what was rattling around my head.

Reply #3
Check the local laws in your area also. Where I live you have to have a permit for any type of solicitation. If you showed up at my door trying to sell me something, I probably wouldn't even open the door, just crack the window ask what you want, that way it is easier to ignore you. I would ask to see the permit, if you don't have a permit, I would call the cops. I'm a jerk when it comes to people soliciting me at my own house.

Reply #4
well here in ga your permit is a dot/agriculture sticker in the back glass of the truck.  i honestly dont feel that this is the job for me, b/c i dont like to annoy other people.  i dont like to be annoyed myself so i know exactly what you guy's are talking about.  i would most likely tell these guys im not even interested before they got done saying "high my name is _ and im from..."  not only that, shotguns and boxer bulldogs is a work hazzard.  the guys i met that were going to be my fellow employees were drinking after they got back from selling AT the shop before they went home, and i'd put money down that they would stop at a bar.  and i also saw in a lil card holder on the boss' desk for a bail bondsman and half of them were complaining about tickets and getting out of jail and shiznit.  the trucks i'd have to drive, i would have to maintain so thats money out of my pocket for gas, oil, filters, etc.  thats what sinched the deal for me not wanting to work there, ontop of rudely interupting someone's day.  that and the whole door to door thing is .  now the meat and all IS the best, i mean you can get the same at a good butcher type place but we can sell it cheaper.  the whole selling it by the case to me is shiznitty, thats like going to a used car dealer to sell cars, and not only do i have to get them in the car, but i got to get them to buy rims, wax and other stuff to wash the car, and 6 months of oil filters and windshield whipers.  if i cant do that i cant sell it to them... i wouldnt sell a car to anyone!  i would basically be buying these boxes of meat and what profit I make i keep.  this isnt job security.  im litterally going to go this afternoon to walmart and talk to the manager.  i'd rather push buggies than do this b/c i know i'll have a job pushing buggies!!!!  i made this poll, just to solidify that this isnt what i need to spend my time doing to make money while in college.  i cant even work a full day at all though the week and they close on sundays.

i thank you guys very much for your input!  hopefully i can get myself set up after getting laid off so i can start buy parts that i desperatly need from you guys and get my bird pretty again.. i mean hell a job is a job is a job.  they're opening a new minakey ( i know i murdered that) so im ganna apply there as well and try to get in the door WHILE working for walmart or home depot.

Reply #5
I'd tell you to piss off as soon as you opened your mouth.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #6
X2.Selling like that here in Oklahoma is illegal.You'll feel like an idiot after the first day on the job,and having most everybody tell you "No",or worse.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
Your a mean old fart Chuck.

If you came to my house you better have a calculator and let me know the price per pound.  If you are higher than Costco than you are out of there.

Also don't try to sell meat to people who have beef running around the house.  A saleman came to our house and asked us if we wanted to buy a package just like that and I pointed to the beef out in the field and told him that I did not need it.  He still tried to sell me, I really don't know if he got the connection or not.

Now days the beef have been replaced by a bunch of Cadillacs so I will be much more open, but they would have to tell me the price per pound, I don't care how pretty they are, I just want to know what I'm paying.

There is no way I would put gas in a company truck!

Good luck with this but I sure would not do it.

TED

Reply #8
Yep...there's a reason nobody does door-to-door anymore.

Besides the fact, that if you're driving a truck and YOU have to pay for the gas....you're gonna use a lot of gas just driving around. That'll get a little expensive.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #9
Honestly, I'd rather pick bottles than sell door to door.

Reply #10
I mis understood the question and voted wrong. I would take the deal.

Reply #11
When I was in Colorado, there was a company that did this. My ex bought all kinds of stuff from them, they even threw in a freezer for 'free'.
Honestly, the sea food wasn't very clean...it was gritty and tasted dirty, like there was still sand on it.  The beef was ok, nothing special, same with the chicken.

Based on your $199 a case, I figured out the price per pound, You get 22.625 lbs of meat, which ends up being $8.79 per pound (this was on the beef). I know some steaks are high priced, however, I do not find paying over $8 per pound a good deal.

On top of that, you have to pay for all the gas on the company truck you drive.... you are getting screwed man.  People are not likely to buy at such high prices, and you are spending all of your 'profit'.

Forgot to mention, my ex wrote a bad check and had all the meat 'repoed' LMAO!  It was the funniest thing I ever heard of.... having meat repoed!!! BAHAHAHAHAH
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #12
Quote from: Cad-T-Bird 500;160160
Your a mean old fart Chuck.

Mean? Yes.  Old?  Nah. (younger than you :p)

I just hate ANYONE trying to sell me anything.  Especially at my front door.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #13
I'd take a look through the peep-hole, see an unfamiliar person with a company truck I don't do business with, and go back to whatever I was doing.

The internets are at my fingertips, I can buy anything I want!
Door-to-door sales are dead. Don't let that company tell you otherwise.

Reply #14
Boy, anyone selling like that around here wouldn't make it home that day.